Have you ever used a moving company? How did it go?

We're going to be moving within the next six months or so, and we're thinking of hiring a moving company. So far all of the quotes I've received are by the hour, but I hesitate to do an hourly rate. I've only contacted reputable companies, and only one has actually taken the time to explain their business and process to me.

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My MIL used a moving company when she was selling her mother's house. As far as cost, I don't know how much it was, but I was there when the movers were there. Four guys were there and they each took a section of house and started packing everything and they would put the boxes on the driveway. Once they were finished packing the boxes, then they loaded up the truck. This move was from NE to CA and took place in mid May. They didn't move the goods to CA until mid July. Mid July was the cutoff date to get the goods to CA. If they had had another load to go to CA earlier, they would have taken the goods to my MIL's house earlier, but no one else moved to CA in that time. The movers showed up around 8 in the morning and they left around 5 or so in the afternoon.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I should mention that my MIL's mother's house had a TON of old antique glass stuff, so packing took a lot longer than the one time I had mover's move my stuff. Plus I lived in a tiny apartment with another person so they only had to move my bedroom, the living room furniture, and the kitchen stuff, which wasn't a lot. Pretty much they did the same thing, came in, packed everything up and then put it on their truck. I don't remember how long it took, but I don't think it took all day. Then they moved my stuff from WA to FL and put it in storage for 4 months while I went to a school in VA. This was a Navy move, so I didn't have to pay. Once I had my apartment in FL they brought my stuff a few days later and they unpacked the truck, but didn't unpack the boxes. Supposedly they were supposed to, but I didn't want them to. We did end up with one box that wasn't ours and we were missing a box.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I packed everything myself to make it easier (and cheaper) so all they had to do is come in and carrying it out. I then broke beds down and moved everything as close to the door as I could with keeping a path. It took less than an hour for them to load it so that went well. The first time I used them all went well. The second time I used (Mayflower) they damaged my furniture and stole my television but they replaced it.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:35 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I've heard bad things about Mayflower. The company I like the best so far is All My Sons, which I think is a west coast company. We're moving locally, so that's not an issue. I also plan to pack everything myself. My dad used a moving company that came and packed everything for a cross country military move, and lost a lot of things.

I guess I'm more worried that I'll sign an hourly contract then they'll come in and take FOREVER. Has that happened to anyone?
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• we used Castine Movers and by far, was better than any other mover we have ever used. it was a corporate move so i'm not sure how they were paid.
    those guys packed a ton of stuff for us in 2 days and put it in storage. when we were ready to have it all delivered again they unpacked and set up in about 6 hours. a classy business for sure and not one broken item.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:43 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My husband worked for North American to help pay my way thru college. A few of my best friends in the world are professional movers. Very few fit the "sterotype"
    Do your homework when hiring a moving company. Check with your local better business bureau. Make sure they are insured. Make sure you are THERE!
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 11:59 AM on Jul. 23, 2009