Do You Use "DH", "DD", ect? If So, WHY???

Being a new mom, I've never seen "DH" "DD", "MIL", ect. I can't for the life of me figure out why everyone refuses to spell out husband or daughhter, Stay at home mom, and the like. Perhaps its because I'm a writing major? Who invented these abreviations? Where did you see it and why did you start doing it? Do you do it? Some people like it, while others say its annoying. How do you feel? Its an interesting phenomena, to say the least...

Gothiclovesick

Asked by Gothiclovesick at 11:29 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I learned my DH, and DD from Flylady, not CM, years ago. I use them on posts because of speed. If I don't know what one is I ask. MOST Mom's here are nice about telling you what they mean.
    I can not stand "wat" "Kewl" or when someone actually says LOL instead of laughing.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 11:55 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• haha Im still trying to figure out what all of them mean..I know that MIL is mother in law..right?
    vanessa432

Answer by vanessa432 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• lol, it's just a Cafemom thing. It's just because this is a chat forum, and it makes writing responses simpler.

I had never seen DD, DH, SAHM, before being on this website. I do use them (and I have a BA in English). It is faster and easier; I, of course, wouldn't use them in a more formal setting.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:33 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I learned them after I joined Cafemom. I use them because it is faster. I don't mind some of the abbreviations. I only get annoyed when people abbreviate everything they can (like a text message).

Why don't you use spell check? That one annoys me more. I forget to sometimes... but usually not. It only takes an extra few seconds to hit the button.

honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I don't use DH or DD, but I do use MIL and SAHM. Mostly because I'm lazy, but not that lazy. LOL.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• By the way, I'm a military spouse, so acronyms are a VERY normal part of my life, which might also be a reason why I so readily accept the CM acronyms and abbreviations.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:35 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• its a forum/chat thing....

I've been on many forums through the years - thse are the basic constant abbreviations.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:38 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• They're basic abbreviations. I use them, but it's still readable when I do. It's not like I'm typing "kewl" instead of "cool" like my annoying little sister does. That's just dumb. lol
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 11:41 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I've never seen them before cafemom and yes i do use them. I let my grammar slip when on here and emails and such. Not capitalizing and using the abriviations, things like that. It's just easier when you're writing a response.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Dont know and dont care who invented them.

I use them for speed more than anything else.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:45 AM on Jul. 23, 2009