Laid off!

I was recently laid off from my job, on top of my family and I planning on making a move in September. What is/was your method for dealing with this. Did you get up get dressed and drive around with resumes all day, did you apply only online....what did you do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• Personally I wouldn't waste the gas. I'd do it online so I could stay at home and pack and get ready for the move. If you want to have a job while waiting to move try the temp agencies. They pay good wages and if you don't want to work that week just tell them. If you don't like that job just tell them you want another one without causing a problem. you can also transfer to their other location when you move to get a start working in the new area. Some companies screen their ppl through these agencies so it helps get a full time permanent job. I swear by these places but use one that does NOT charge a fee. The company using you will pay the agency.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:45 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I would apply everywhere. Online and in -person. Kepping track of every where that I applied, doing "Follow-up" calls until I was told the position had be filled.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 11:45 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I am sorry to hear that. I started working from home if you are interested in doing so without selling, stocking, or delivering any products go to my website and see what you think. If you are interested then fill out the form and we can get started from there. This is a legitimate business. We just won an award from the BBB and you have your own free personal mentor so you will always know what to do next! Check it out! www.workathomeunited.com/heathers
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Do both. Take a day to go out with resumes & take another day to sit online & look - just alternate them.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Personally I started my OWN home business with Ameriplan. And my MAIN reason for thi swas because it's not a regular job where you can be laid off from. It is my very own, no one tells me what to do or when to do it. Plus I am building a financial futer for me not a boss or another Company.
    It is not hard to do and you can certainly do it when you move as well because you just need a comp and phone. They do Daily Pay-Benefits-401K-Training and support from a great Team-4 websites managed for you.
    Listen to this call for some more info 616-712-1118 and you can email me if you'd like ChristinaLDennis@gmail.com
    Good lukc with your search and your move!!! God Bless girlie :)
    ChristinaDennis

Answer by ChristinaDennis at 1:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I got laid off in April and I found it a HUGE opportunity to stay home with my son. I searched and searched to find a legit job that I could work at home. I found a girl that got me onto Internet CEO Moms and I am loving it. Everyone is so positive and friendly. Check my website out at www.4theLoveofMyFamily.com or send me an email at alyssamaliska@ymail.com. I would love to get you introduced to the business and hope to hear from you soon! :-)
    Alyssa M.
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 1:30 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• The unemployment rate keeps going up and it is very discouraging. I do have a few suggestions, though (I do career and job search coaching).
    Number 1 is networking; Cafemom is a start, but you need to actively seek out people and groups that can help you meet people who can connect you to someone hiring. Less the half of the available positions are posted on the job boards; you need to get out and find the others.
    Number 2 is having a great "elevator speech". This is a 15 second introduction on who you are and what you are looking for.
    Number 3 is a great resume that tells the reader who you are, what you can do, what you have accomplished, and how you can help.
    Number 4 is great coverletters tailored to the position/company.
    Number 5 is using one of the meta search sites, like Indeed or Simply Hired, to comb the job boards for you.

Cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:56 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Looking for a job is a full time job, and sometimes you need to be creative and design your own job.
    Do you have a former employer you could work for remotely? If you have a computer with high speed internet & Microsoft Office Pro & have at least intermediate MS Office skills, you should be able to find work as a virtual assistant (VA). For more information, go to www.ivaa.org.
    Do you have a skill or experience that you can turn into a home based business? I have a friend who makes children's hair accessories in her basement & sells them to boutiques around the Midwest. My husband runs a handyman business from our home. I work from home with two lines of business; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization, in addition to coaching.
    Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions about resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview preparation.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I started working this amazing work at home business. It's soooooooo easy to run. And, it's scam-free! Click on the link below.

Work at Home!
    Patience654

Answer by Patience654 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• YES,I'M AN INDEPENDENT CONSULTANT FOR PARTYLITE..I'VE BEEN DOING THIS FOR 11/2 YRS,BEFORE THIS I JUST HAD THE PARTYS, BUT I'M SO GLAD I STARTED,I MAKE MY OWN HOURS AND MEET MANY PEOPLE..GO TO HOUSE AND HAVE FUN AND GET PAID WELL FOR IT!! I MAKE AN AVERAGE $60-$100 IN AN HOUR OR TWO...I EARN PLENTY OF FREE PRODUCT AND BONUSES,AND THIS YEAR I'M TRYIN TO EARN MY FIRST ALL EXCLUSIVE PAID TRIP(a cruise)..AND BEST OF ALL IT WAS A NO-CASH INVESTMENT!! THAT WAS THE BEST I HAVE 3 LIVING CHILDREN AND A STEP DAUGHTER.. I'M SO GLAD I JOIN PARTYLITE, YOUR IN YOUR OWN BUISNESS BUT YOUR NOT ALONE.. THERE IS GREAT GROUP OF PEOPLE TO HELP ALONG THE WAY.. IF YOU WOULD LIKE MORE INFO CONTACT ME ON MY WEBSITE AT:
    WWW.PARTYLITE.BIZ/CANDLELADYJAMIE
    THECANDLELADY21

Answer by THECANDLELADY21 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 28, 2009