rhogam shot???

has anyone has a rhogam shot? im 31 weeks pregnant and my doctor told me i need to have this done.. im so scared help plz!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• got it for all three of my pregnancies. other than the joy of dropping your pants and having a poke in the butt....it wasn't so bad.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:41 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• That shot ifs for people who have a blood type of RH- so I assume you have that type. I do as well. I got the shot after I had a miscarriage. I had the miscarriage because I did not have the shot. My body attacked the baby that was trying to grow. If your baby has the same blood type as you don’t have to get the shot after the delivery but if that’s your blood type you should get it before you even try to concive. Not all blood types of RH- need it. Some have many kids and never have to get the shot.. They will tell you almost immediately. Type in RH- in the search bar in the right hand corner of your screen and you will learn more. It does not hurt any more than a normal shot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• i had a miscarriage march 3,08 they didnt give me the shot so why do i need it now?
    Anonymous

• If you have an rh- blood type your body will produce antibodies to an rh+ blood type. If your hubby is neg as well then your baby will be neg and there is no problem. But if your hubby is + then the baby can be either + or - and there is no way to tell until after birth. If the baby is + and your blood and the baby's blood comes into contact your body will produce antibodies that will attack the baby and can cause it to be very ill or even cause death. But the rhogam shot will prevent your body from producing those antibodies. I had the shot with all of my pregnancies and after my miscarriage, and have 3 healthy boys. My mom didn't have it after her first pregnancy or during her second and my sis had an rh reaction and had to have a blood tranfusion and spend time in the nicu. It can be scary, but the shot will prevent your body from attacking your baby, so it's a good thing.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• you can wait to have the shot until after the baby is born. the baby can still have rh-. they can give the shot up to 72 hours after that. and you don't really need the shot unless there is trauma done during the labor (usually happens when the placenta is coming out bc hospitals rush it).
    so, if the baby is born rh-, then you don't need the shot.
    Anonymous