Do you think its tacky...?

Do you think its tacky to not shop the registry for a baby shower you have been invited to?It worked both ways at my shower, while I got some things that weren't on the registry I liked, I also got some really wacky things (we all have that ONE aunt)...What do you think?

Gothiclovesick

Asked by Gothiclovesick at 11:44 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I usually get something practical from the registry and then cute stuff not on the registry. For instance, I got my SIL the extra car seat base for her husband's car then I got a set of cute socks that look like socks in mary jane shoes, a sock monkey, and a little t-shirt that says "mysterioso predicts I will be a dog show judge". What's funny is that we are the dog people of the family and had no idea what mysterioso predicted until she opened the package.
    At my shower, I didn't get very much from my registry and I have to admit, it kind of annoyed me. I got some practical stuff that was nice, but I got some stuff that was really impractical. From other moms, too. Like crocheted outfits. I live in SC and am due in August. It's way too hot to put her in a crocheted dress that I'm sure wasn't cheap. Yeah, it will make a nice picture, but once the pic is taken, she'll be back in a onesie or sleeper.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:23 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• No, I dont.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• When I shop I usually will check the registry to see what has already been bought, but I dont buy off it. Being a mom I know that people will always need diapers, hangars, and then I buy items for later on like 3-6 mos clothing, and baby proofing stuff.
    I def dont think its tacky
    vanessa432

Answer by vanessa432 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• i dont think its tacky. i know someone that has only crazy stuff on her registry. im not spending 200 dallors on her. it really depends if its resonable things they are asking for. cant go wrong with diapers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I think it's tacky to EXPECT people to buy all te expensive and sometimes unnecessary things on your registry. I was glad to have people bring me anything to my shower, because it all helps. Most people attach a gift reciept in case u get two of the same thing. Sometimes 2 of the same thing is nice, like carseats, even strollers. I had 2 baby showers because my kids are 8 years apart and different sexes, I got two highchairs for my oldest, and took one back and bought a baby monitor ( I didnt get one). Anything else that was doubled, and I didnt use, open, etc, I put aside and regifted at someone else's baby shower. Why not? It was stuff they needed, like washcloths, burp rags, bottles, onesies, etc. and then I just bought a small thing to go with it. Shit, times are hard.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I think its tacky when someone goes buck wild at walmart with a Lazar thing picking the MOST expensive things for there registry- This happens more than not. People will put car seats, cribs, bedding sets, baby monitors. Truth is baby showers are for the little things like diapers, bottles, oneis, blankets, burp rags... The PARENTS are supposed to provide the major things for their baby, and than they wonder why no one bought off there registry...Because its rude to expect expensive things, no matter how wealthy the family may or may not be. Truth is, its not THIER responsibility to provide EVERYTHING for your child.

Anonymous

• tacky? no

Answer by admckenzie at 12:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Not at all. A lot of people really enjoy adding 'that personal touch' to their gifts. Which is how they might view their non-registry gift. Or you might receive a gift from a parent who's been there and has an idea of what you'll need that you don't realize you need. The thoughts behind the gift mean a great deal more than the actual things you release from the wrapping paper imho.
    MommaJen536

Answer by MommaJen536 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Not at all. I really don't like it when someone sends a registry card with an invitation. I kind of think that you should only have one ready if someone asks if you registered somewhere.
    warrenfamily95

Answer by warrenfamily95 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• No I don't. I did have a registry with mine but we had family everywhere. Yes I was the one that had car seats and strollers and crib sets lol but as mentioned family.  I prefer the route most of the other moms mentioned :) The personal touch.

ice_angel_k

Answer by ice_angel_k at 11:45 PM on Jul. 23, 2009