When will my son get used to daycare? ;(

My 20 month old has been going to Daycare for 3 months now. He goes 2 days a week. Every time I drop him off he cries like crazy, and this morning he started throwing up. i feel soooooo bad for him! Should I pull him out???

MattsMum8

Asked by MattsMum8 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes pull him!! when a kid gets sick when you drop him off means there is something going on when you leave. Stick around next time make sure the care taker don"t see you and you can see what is going on.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I bring my son to a Daycare Center 3 days a week. I started when he was 16 months old. it took him a good 2-3 months to stop screaming from me. Its hard to say if its the place you bring him or if he just has a hard time being away from you.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Do you really have to ask? Pull him out YESTERDAY!!! If he's only going 2 days a week, you can probably find an individual to babysit him for that little bit of time. I'm a SAHM and I'm looking for just such an arrangement. I can't do full time childcare but I could handle part time. I know people who babysit in their homes and for only 2 days a week, you shouldn't have any problems finding someone.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• What are they doing to help him? Most day care centers assist the kids in getting used to it, not just stand there while they puke! I'm so sorry you're going through this.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• They seem really good with him. They have Video Over The Internet, so I can watch him while I'm at work. They dont mistreat him and all the other kids love the place. He is good with the teachers and is particularly attached to one of the teachers. She feels bad but she cant carry him around all day. He doesnt eat there and only sleeps half an hour. When I leave him in the morning and he is screaming my name am I teaching him that when he's scared and needs me that I wont protect and comfort him????
    MattsMum8

Answer by MattsMum8 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• It may take him longer to adjust because he is only there two days a week - it's not his normal daily routine. Your daycare may also have some ideas about how you can make drop offs easier for him (and you). Before you take him out try talking with his caregiver and visiting the daycare after he's had time to settle in for the day (preferably watch him where he can't see you so he doesn't melt down all over again). A lot of kids throw fits when Mommy leaves, but within a few minutes they are playing and having a good time. Find out if he's only unhappy for only a few minutes or if he's basically unhappy the whole time he's there. As for getting sick, that happens when some kids get upset or throw fits - one of my 23 month old twins does it sometimes when I put her in time out, and my friend's daughter did it too when she was this age.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:21 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I am a provider, and i can tell you just bc a kid is upset does not mean the provider is doing anything wrong. I have been doing this for 4yrs now and just about all my 18-24 month olds go threw this, its called seperation anxiety. Have you talked to your provider about this, usually when i run into a child that is upset me and that parent try to distract the little 1, either by me taking the child off to play or putting tv on. I would try and stick it out a little while longer to see how things go, but i will say if it gets worse then i would pull him out. Some kids just need a little more cuddle time then others, and since he only goes twice a week its going to take him a little while longer to adjust. Well i hope this helped and i wish you luck, seperation anxiety is very hard to deal with sometimes but he will get threw it with some extra love and encouragement.
    princessemilie

Answer by princessemilie at 12:22 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• When we first started my son at our Center, we did it part time 2 days a weeks and within the first 2 weeks I decided to make it 3 half days to help him adjust easier. it was too long of a stretch from when he went there from the last time he was there. We did it right away so it still took him another 6 weeks or so to stop crying but I also talked to the center's director and she gave me pointers on how to make things easier. Like at drop off - don't sit there or talk for a while - I am in and out of there in 30 seconds. I do my pre-talk with him before hand. Tell him where you are going, what you are doing etc. I also made a picture chart at home. I would show him his teachers picture in the morning and we would talk about going to "school" and how much fun they have there etc. It seemed to really help.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:36 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My DS was 4 & DD 2 1/2 when they started daycare. To be honest, they never adjusted. They went for 6 months & they would cry every day. I finally was able to stay home with them again & it was the best decision I ever made.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I think it'll take a little longer becuase it's just a few days a week. Does he calm down afterwards? He's at that age where he has separation anxiety and is somehwere fairly new. What helped with a co-worker was she stayed in class with him for a week the first day with him, the next few near by but away form him and the last day or two in the corner but away form him. Maybe that would help?
    Anonymous