back labor

anyone had it? i haven't had many "contractions" like what normal people describe. i have been having tightening in my back. i lost my plug yesterday and this morning i woke up with a mild pain in my back that shortly became insanely painful then within a minute it went away. that was almost 2 hours ago and i feel it coming back... i am worried to tell my husband to go ahead and come home because he would leave in a heartbeat and it is a new job and if this is nothing that would really stink. i keep telling myself that maybe the baby is on a nerve but when he is on a nerve he doesn't leave it, apparently the most uncomfortable place for me is the most comfy for him.

eh, just want to hear what other people have to say before i go worrying myself.

spazlilsister

Asked by spazlilsister at 12:02 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i would say if you feel concerned that you need to call your doctor.
    mommyof6552

Answer by mommyof6552 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I would say that two hours apart is NO need to call your man home, you will absolutely no with out any doubt when you are in labor, and back labor ESPECIALLY because that's the Pitts!

When you are contracting 6 mins apart call your man, and when your 4 mins apart time to go to L&D!

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 12:05 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• well, he works an hour and a half away.
    spazlilsister

Answer by spazlilsister at 12:22 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I called my doctor when my contractions were 5 minutes apart. I didn't feel back labor until I was in active labor. Mycontractions were two minutes apart, felt like my back wanted to break open and a watermelon trying to squeeze out at the same time. I had an epi, but it must have wore off b/c nothing I did eased the pain hubby tried to help by massaging my lower back and that didn't work. Sorry TMI, but that's how I describe that horrific pain! Hope you don't experience it if so someone told me you can put yourself on all fours to keep the baby from putting pressure on your back.
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 12:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Start timing them. Like JnCV said, when they get closer together and are stronger then call for help. It sounds like, IMO, that it's beginning stages of labor.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• hehehe, I just read on another question that you have been a "counselor" since you were 15 and in the childcare profession since 12!!!! "I just turned 21 actually, Have been a counselor for 7 years and in the childcare profession for over 10 years" LOL ROTF!

Anonymous

• ok, i feel better about calling in sick today then. i didn't want to be one of those people who are like, "i'm getting close to labor"..."nope"..."ok, now i am getting close"..."not even close"
    spazlilsister

Answer by spazlilsister at 12:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• anonymous, thank you for one to come and find me to make fun of a simple typo. if you did that to my face, i may have had to injure you. i was a in peer consulation when i turned 12 and was in charge of talking to kids who cut their wrists because adults didn't get through to them. i was in the childcare profession when i was 11 because my sister was a teacher and i was her assistant, when i was 12 i became a live in nanny for my next door neighbors for every summer till they moved away when i was 14. hope you feel good about yourself and sleep well at night, i feel good because i was being nice to someone...you can feel good for being a booger, if you like. next time you want an explanation, message me.
    spazlilsister

Answer by spazlilsister at 12:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• 2 hours apart is very very early, no need to call your husband yet! Back labor does feel like cramps in your lower back, it isn't constant pain, they come and go. Try to time them and when they start becoming regular and about 5 minutes apart then its time to call. If it is back labor the best thing you can do is keep moving, try different positions (hands and knees is a good one) and showering..those things worked for me during my first labor!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2009