If you chose NOT to Breastfeed, Why?

This is a serious question. I'm a mom-to-be and I am planning on breastfeeding and it doesn't seem like it would be that complicated. I hear a lot of women saying they couldn't breastfeed or that it was uncomfortable. Why, though? What happened? I hope this doesn't happen to me!

preggoandfat

Asked by preggoandfat at 12:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I pumped for the first 2-3 weeks because I had flush nipples and I had really BIG boobs and I was afraid I would smother my baby.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I nursed for 6 weeks. I was in agony. I was producing milk, but I don't think baby was latching right. the lactation lady at the hospital said she was latched right, but I guess the could have changed. It looked right from the top, but once I started bottle feeding, I noticed that her bottle lip sometimes would curl under the bottle nipple which could explain the latch issues and not something Iw ould have caught on my own. I pumped by hand, but was afriad to invest in an expenviese pump I might not use when I was already in so much pain. Daughter was not gaining weight and put on formula to help add the calories (premiee extra calorie formula). But the final straw came one night. I was crying, baby was screaming! I had her head craddled and my breast in the other hand and had her about 6 inches away but was terrifed to latch becuase I knew the pain would be too much. I was afraid not to breastfeed, ...cont.
    Anonymous

• I only breastfed for 6 months. I wish I would have done it longer, but I was a single mom, full time college student and I couldn't arrange my class schedule with long enough breaks to go to the daycare and feed her. Plus I didn't have anywhere to pump or store milk while at college. I arranged my classes the semester I had her and that summer to breastfeed, but it wasn't feasible in the fall. With my next child, I plan to breastfeed for at least the first year, I really enjoyed breastfeeding.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:10 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Oh I did it only for 2-3 weeks because I dried up because I got pg again.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:10 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I breastfed no formula two of my kids and breastfed and formula fed one of my kids.
    The one baby I bf and ff was just hungry hungry and it just made sense to use both breast and formula. I've never felt guilty about using formula. I knew my mothering was to be based on a life time of it not just a few months or a year.

Breast feeding can be very very sore for your nipples as well as between feedings until you can feed. You can put special cremes on yourself for discomfort or nipple shields made of a latex or rubber. One of those can cause severe allergies so check that out, I don't remember which some people are allergic to either latex or rubber.

I had no trouble breast feeding. but i was frustrated that i could never pump milk. i tried hand pumps and other kinds but nothing came of it ever. But I could turn around and feed for hours straight with breastmilk. don't know why.

Congratulations on baby, mama. Enjoy!
    Anonymous

• ... cont. becuase I didn't know any better. The following day the doctor said it's OK to take a break now and then. That helped so much just formula feeding once a day so my boobs could air out and heal. But she wasn't gaining so at around 2-3 weeks the supplimenting was starting and it was such a big relief. I hated being terrified of my child and I felt so bad becuase I knew it was torutre for her to be hungry and smell me but not allowed to eat. So I decided i'd be much more usefully as a mommy who could hold and snuggle and feed her child than a detached feeding bag.

I also know others who breastfeed from day on with no problems.
    And Yes, I absolutely will try nursing with any others. All kdis are different so I may have no rpoblems with the next. And I will try renting a pump to see how the pain really is before buying one so if it is painful, maybe I can still pump and bottle feed.
    Anonymous

• It takes time to get the hang of breastfeeding, both you and the baby. some moms get very frustrated with trying to get the baby to latch on properly, some babys want to nurse every 20 mins at first, and moms think there babys are starving and give up and stick a bottle in its mouth. Some women dont give them sevles time. It is not natural, it is not easy...AT FIRST. There are alot of reasons, I breast fed my third and it was very difficult at first, so please be careful, you have not tried it yet so you really have no idea. Read all you can on BF, go to breast feeding classes, have the nurses help you in the hospital, but it is frustrating. I have helped mamy women after giving birth, the baby falls alseep, not intrested, not latching on correctly, or crying and not latching on. This is a very delicate time, but if you stick with it, you should be fine. On the good side, after the first two weeks, it is very easy.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I'm still breastfeeding at 5 months, it's not that hard. Alot of women give up because it hurts in the beginning, but only for like aweek while your nipples adjust. If your baby has a proper latch there is no pain.
    Others give up because they think they aren't making enough milk because they aren't engorged/they can't pump alot. But if they'd do a quick google search or ask any doctor/nurse/lactation specialist or whatever they'd know they have plenty of milk.
    It's something like 1% of women don't make enough milk. But sooo many use that excuse lol.
    Bfing is all about supply and demand, if you keep nursing then you will make milk. Women who supplement with formula just ruin their supply.

I don't care if a woman doesn't breastfeed, but it makes me smirk when they make up bullcrap excuses to justify quitting.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 12:14 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• oh ya and I understand some people can't due to their schedule etc. I know if I was still working fulltime I wouldn't be having pumping breaks every hour. That can be really hard.
    I'm a sahm so I have the time :)
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 12:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I didn't 'choose' not to breastfeed. I tried. Severely inverted nipples started the problem. Crack, bleeding nipples added to the problem 44 DDD further complicated the issue. My child would not/could not latch on properly. She was screaming and not getting enough to eat. I was frustrated, exhausted, sleepless and crying. After 8 weeks I said enough. My child immediately began sleeping 4 hours at a time at night. She stopped screaming like someone was torturing her. I healed, clamed down and got some rest. We were both bettter off for not continuing. Lots of judgemental women here believe they know what is best for MY child. They weren't there. You weren't there. I made the best choice I could for the circumstances I was in. Really though, it is frankly non of anyones business whether or not I breastfed or tried to breastfeed. That is the ONLY reason this post is anon.
    Anonymous