Patience Issues

I have a 20 month old son. The last 2 days with him have been very hard. I am having a hard time keeping my patience with his tantrums and fights. I tell myself over and over he's not doing this TO Me - he's learning and growing but sometimes its not helping. this has to be normal, right? Not ALL mom's are patient ALL the time and react perfectly for every tantrum. He was crying this morning cause he had his stuffed animals in his arms, which means he couldn't eat, but he wouldn't let me hold them, he wouldn't set them down, he couldn't set them by his side in his booster seat good enough so he'd start screaming -nothing worked this morning - and he's screaming hsyterically the whole time - I finally had enough and threw the stuffed animals and yelled for him to eat -of cours eI know that wasn't the right thing to do but I tried all the "right" things and they weren't working.. I am having a hard time keeping it together.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• We all lose it. And we all know it wasn't the greatest decision, but it happens. Recognizing that it isn't a great decision is what makes it okay, because you're doing your best to do better. This stage is so frustrating, but it really does get better. Repeating back what you think is going on can be helpful, and give you something to say.

It does sound like he's tired, too. During this stage, I really focused on getting my daughter all the sleep she needed. Even then, you're still going to have crappy days! You're doing good. Keep it up.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:20 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• If you get to the point where you feel like yelling it's time for a mommy time out. Let him cry and walk away for a few until you calm down. As for the stuffed animals maybe making a place for each of them at the table with their own plates and cup so they can sit and "eat" their lunch too. Maybe he would go for that. It's tough being a mommy but getting on his level and think like him on what he would like. Take it one day at a time and breath deep.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I still have the same issues with both of my children. I have to just walk away-make sure they are somewhere that they won't get hurt and leave the area. Let them scream! It will hurt them more if you stay in the room and try to help.
    Anonymous

• the tricks for tantrums is to NOT react at all. Just walk into another room. Watch him, he will follow you, and throw himself back on the floor where you can see him. It can be quite entertaining watching the pathetic little display follow you all over the house. I used to have such fun seeing where I could get my DS to throw himself down. I stood on my bed once, and he climbed up and threw himself at my feet on my bed, then I walked down the hall to the kitchen and stood on a chair. He looked at me, and said STOP MOMMY! it was really really funny, and the tantrum was over.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 3:21 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Not that it will necessarily help, but I stopped letting my dd have any toys while she was eating. They could sit on the counter or on the table far enough away to keep her from reaching them. They were "watching her eat". It has been the rule for a while and I'm not saying she always loves it, but it works pretty well and it keeps her from getting her animals dirty or having them be in the way.

As far as your "tantrum" Well... it happens. No, no one is perfect all the time. Mommy time outs are good, but sometimes just don't happen.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 4:27 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• do you have a friend, neighbor or family member you can trade child care with?

Answer by rkoloms at 4:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Okay what you need to do is bust out with the pack and play and when your loosing it and really he throwing tantrums you put him in there for a few minutes and sit down on the couch make sure you put him in another room so he realizes hes not being a good boy! My doctor recomended this as a lil time out kind of for us both and it is so helpful!! I might do it once a week if that but he re groups and so do I !
    ALDmama

Answer by ALDmama at 4:58 PM on Jul. 23, 2009