• In the Spotlight:

Is it possible to lose weight while pregnant if Im a bit heavy?

Im on the heavy side and only a few months along, can i still drop off pounds like from my thighs and arms and still be healthy for the baby? If so how?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you can probably tighten your arms and legs with strength training and weights and eat a healthy diet for you and your baby like whole grains veggies fruits and lean protein so that you dont gain anymore weight. if you keep working out your muscles now, they should bounce back once your not pregnant anymore. but they recommend you dont try to "loose weight" while pregnant.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:34 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• You are NEVER supposed to diet while you are pregnant. Eating healthy foods in many varities, cutting out the snacks and pop, and drinking plenty of milk and water is about the only thing you can and are SUPPOSED to do when you are pregnant. But cutting calories or cutting certain food groups out or salt from your diet is not good. And if you were planning on trying to work out to lose some weight, doctors don't recommend pregnant women to start working out unless they were already.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• walking is safe so is jogging and light running. i lost weight doing this when i gained 10 lbs into my 10th week! thats alot! so yes you can lose weight while pregnant it wont kill you or the baby! just make sure you still eat healthy, drink lots of water and take it easy, dont overdo it.
    Anonymous

• i was in hip hop dance tell i was 5 months pregnant and after that i walked every day its ok as long as ur doctor says is i lost 15 lbs with my first then gained 50!
    Anonymous

• do not lose weight while pregnant
    but you can gain what is needed for baby and lose after
    if you start eating healthy and doind light exercise
    you will have healthy routine after baby is born

always check with doc first
    i was high risk, so it was no time for exercise

congrates
    and worry about weight later
    think healthy
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• If you are overweight to begin with, it is possible (and sometimes recommended) to loose a little in the beginning stages of pregnancy. I would just talk to your doc & see what they recommend.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• You can exercise (talk to your dr before starting any routine though) but its not healthy to diet.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 1:06 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I would suggest eating more healthy such as the above posts recommend. Cut out any really sugary drinks and watch your juice intake! A lot of women gain weight from these drinks bc they think they are healthy, and instead they are loaded with useless sugar that you and the baby do not need! Drink more water and eat whole grain instead of white bread. Basically, make every calorie count towards good nutrition instead of just empty sugar calories. Walking is good exercise; anything else above that I would ask the doctor before starting. If you get into a healthy regimen now, you will gain less weight and the pounds after pregnancy will come off a lot easier! Good luck and congratz :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 1:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I would not purposely lose weight while pregnant. Now, when I get pregnant I tend to crave fruits & veggies by the boat load & I always lose weight. With my first I lost 15 , second lost 13 this time I'm not sure but close to 20. All my babies were very healthy(8-11, 8-3, & 10-5, no GD)
    mamabens

Answer by mamabens at 1:41 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I was heavy when I was pregnant with my son and I was soooo nauseous that I couldn't hold anything down...I lost 80 lbs my first trimester and my doctor said it was ok. My son is perfectly healthy :)
    SuperHumanC

Answer by SuperHumanC at 1:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2009