Jack Russell!

We have a 3 1/2 month old Jack Russell Terrior. She's very smart and she's already learned the ropes around the house and such but there's one MAJOR problem... potty training! lol Anybody have any great ideas on how to potty train a Jack Russell?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Pets

• i bought the sprays from petsmart that have a scent to them. one for telling them where to go and one for telling them where not to go. it works, and they refund the money if it doesn't.
    wait till the dog is about 16 weeks old and routinely take them out in 3 hour intervals and praise him with the same words each time. gradually lengthen the time spans and eventually your dog will go outside just by using the previous praise words you used. i've had 3 JR's and I will always have one. they are the best, smartest little dogs.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 5:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I have potty trained MANY puppies (I work with foster organizations for dogs and have 4 of my own, plus my dad breeds). Rarely before 6 months is any dog really completely potty trained. They just don't have the bladder control yet to hold it for long periods, so taking him out often is a good thing! Also, be consistent. Let her realize that she is to go out at certain times. I keep any dog that is not house trained near me at all times, so that i can watch for their signs that they need to go out, and can take them out immediately if they start to squat down. At night, try to limit their water. This won't hurt her, and will help her be able to hold it during the night as well. I do not recommend the wee wee pads bc once she realizes its ok to go in that spot, she will go whether there is a pad there or not.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 1:02 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Jacks are very smart, but also very head-strong, so it might take a little extra time for her to get the idea. Once she does however, she's got it down for life! Any time she goes in the house, use a cleaner specifically designed to neutralize the odor, bc even if we can't smell it, she can and will go back to that same spot over and over again. Hope these tips help and feel free to write me if you have any more questions! Good luck with your wonderful new puppy!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 1:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I have a mini doberman pincher. My husband just had to have him. He is super cute thats for sure but I have grown up with the larger breed dogs such as THE DOBERMAN. lol. Well, I told my husband "I'll work super hard to potty train him but he for sure cant go around doing his deed on our carpets". It only took me about two full months =) I have him using the bottom of a plastic rabbit cage. I put pine chips in it and placed it in the area I knew I would be leaving it. I then would take the puppy to this tray every 15/20 minutes and give him a treat for staying in the tray. When he would pee on the carpet I would tell him NO and take him back to this tray and have him set in there for a few. He picked up on it and started doing it so now *he is about a year old* and he still gets treats every time he goes in there =) I'm shocked. HE ALSO HAPPILY GOES OUTSIDE but only when we are outside playing with him. GOOD LUCK
    Luv03

Answer by Luv03 at 2:17 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I have had 2 jacks (i love them) with both we had to rub their noses in it and throw it and them outside so they got the idea of where that is supposed to go. I will say my 2 1/2 yr old jack tool till about a year ago to get the idea of making noise when she needed to go out but she only had accidents once in a while since she was 8 months old. Jacks do seem to have a hard head about some things and with mine it is the COME command but yours might be the potty training you need to stick to what ever method you decided to use and it may take a while.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Anybody that housetrains their puppy by rubbing the dog's nose in it and throwing them outside--is that how you potty trained your child? Rubbed his/her nose in it and then threw them in the bathroom? If not, why not? They "will eventually get the idea".
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 6:15 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I am with Pagan Mama on this one: What type of human finds it acceptable to demoralize another living creature especially one you consider part of the family?? Small breeds can take up to a year to FULLY housebreak. Some will never get it for one reason or another. The best you can do is make sure they stay on a schedule with food/water and potty breaks. I am an advocate of crate training as it is typically the best tool for most dogs provided they have strong, supportive owners. No water after 5pm..ice cubes are okay if pup appears thirsty. No food or treats after 4pm..no exceptions. Potty breaks within 15 mins. of eating, playing or waking. As soon as pup pottys outside praise and reward are the key to your happiness. Good luck.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 9:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2009