Why is being a stay at home mom such a bad thing when you are looking for work?

I have been a stay at home mom for the last four years and now have a chance to go to work outside the home. Everytime I apply for a position I hear the same thing "you don't have a work history". How am I suppossed to get one if no one will hire me since I have not worked outside the home???

brazossmith

Asked by brazossmith at 12:53 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• I know, it sucks. You just have to keep pressing on till you find someone. With this economy companies can be VERY picky on who they hire
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I agree it sucks. Until you get a paying job in whatever year since you can be apart from your kids, I'd get heavy duty into volunteer work. Office volunteer work even in a church or hospital lobby greeting visitors or in an e r where you're front and center is good job references.
    Anonymous

• My son is about to turn five and I have been a stay at home mommy since getting prego. I do have a degree in early childhood education but I would by no means go into that field if I wasnt a stay at home mommy. Thus I would be in the same boat as your self. LOTS OF LUCK =)
    Luv03

Answer by Luv03 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Have you thought about a home biz? I started an at home biz a few months back while being home with my 2 boys ages 5 and 2. We don't have to sell, don't have to take inventory, no parties, and no MLM! Plus the comp we work with just recently won an award with the BBB so it is no scam! Feel free to contact me at rebeccabowen@live.com or visit my website at www.beingunited.com. I would love to talk to you and answer any questions that you have! Thanks, hope we can talk soon!
    Rebecca
    Rebecca325

Answer by Rebecca325 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• You need to learn how to respond to the idiots. Being a stay-at-home mom requires many skills that are valued in the work place: time management, budgeting, organization, filing, bookkeeping, etc.

I do career & job search coaching. I am always happy to help cafemoms (and dads) with resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview preparation. Feel free to contact me directly –Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 2:52 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• OMG! I agree. some ppl dont understand what it is to be a stay home mom. Oprah even say she have the upmost respect for moms who are home. It's a business in itself. Do not let idiots deter you from going back into the working fields keep pressing until you are sucessful.
    Anonymous

• ditto.

I'd like to get a part time job to get out of the house and interact with real people lol but its virtually impossible. Iv'e been out of the workforce for almost 9 years now - darn hard.

thankfully I don't NEED a job I'd just like to get out of the house, and why not work and get paid to leave the house. lol
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• YES,I'M AN INDEPENDENT CONSULTANT FOR PARTYLITE..I'VE BEEN DOING THIS FOR 11/2 YRS,BEFORE THIS I JUST HAD THE PARTYS, BUT I'M SO GLAD I STARTED,I MAKE MY OWN HOURS AND MEET MANY PEOPLE..GO TO HOUSE AND HAVE FUN AND GET PAID WELL FOR IT!! I MAKE AN AVERAGE $60-$100 IN AN HOUR OR TWO...I EARN PLENTY OF FREE PRODUCT AND BONUSES,AND THIS YEAR I'M TRYIN TO EARN MY FIRST ALL EXCLUSIVE PAID TRIP(a cruise)..AND BEST OF ALL IT WAS A NO-CASH INVESTMENT!! THAT WAS THE BEST I HAVE 3 LIVING CHILDREN AND A STEP DAUGHTER.. I'M SO GLAD I JOIN PARTYLITE, YOUR IN YOUR OWN BUISNESS BUT YOUR NOT ALONE.. THERE IS GREAT GROUP OF PEOPLE TO HELP ALONG THE WAY.. IF YOU WOULD LIKE MORE INFO CONTACT ME ON MY WEBSITE AT:
    WWW.PARTYLITE.BIZ/CANDLELADYJAMIE
    THECANDLELADY21

Answer by THECANDLELADY21 at 10:24 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I agree with the candlelady21 start your own business, theres more money plus you work when you want. I have done direct sales for a long time.. some I bombed at not doing ANYTHING.. you gotta find one that fits you and with a supportive SUCESSFUL upline and you will make a great income for you and your family. Im not here to recruit so Im not going to go into why my company fits me after all the research.. but I think you should look into some companies.. PM me if you want help, I am knowledgeable on every company out there... I WILL NOT TRY TO RECRUIT YOU LOL Im only here to help... I also know of some real "Internet JOBS"

AmberMN

Answer by AmberMN at 12:21 AM on Jul. 30, 2009

• I've been a stay at home mom for 9 years. Before I worked in management working my way up from cashier, moved and changed jobs to work in security. Children were getting into trouble and I needed to be home to keep them in line. Now, youngest is 12 and I am looking for job, but having a hard time getting one. I've stayed busy with volunteer work, but many companies will not consider my secretarial, bookkeeping, organizational, etc skills gained from the volunteer work. They are passing me over for younger people that already have jobs and want a change or people that are younger. I even attended college for two years and earned my associates. I don't know what else to do except keep trying. In the meantime, I continue volunteering to get out of the house. I just want a paycheck with my name on it for a change. I want something for me!
    sumtinsassy

Answer by sumtinsassy at 5:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2010