Ferber Method

Has anyone used the Ferber Method and let their baby cry it out? Our pediatrician recommended that we use it at night because my 4 month old will only sleep for 2-3 hours at a time. How old was your baby when you used it? How many days of crying did you endure?

silvia316

Asked by silvia316 at 12:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• research it first. Even Dr Ferber himself doesn't reccomend it before 6 months! Try reading 'the no cry sleep solution'
    mamabens

Answer by mamabens at 12:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I don't agree with the ferber method.
    Anonymous

• We got lucky, our kids only cried it out a couple of times their first year of life. Some kids are more stubborn than others.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• i HAD to use the CIO method. I tried every other method first but my son's colic was so severe so long that at 8 months, he didn't have self sooth ability so woke all night - anyway - you aren't supposed to even start CIO til after 6 months. at 4 months, your baby still NEEDS something and that is why they are waking - they don't have the capability at this age to know if they cry, you will come - that's later.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• No, my kids didn't need anything at 2am when thy were 4 months old lol. They needed sleep, but my children were put to bed awake and son had a paci and daughter had her index finger. LIke I said we were VERY lucky, my children cherished sleep as much as my hub and I did
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:10 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I didn't do the ferber method, but a similar method of letting the kids cry a little. I never let them cry more than 10-15 mins without going in to calm/soothe. It never took more than 2-3 days.
    I don't know about the ferber method, but I did put my kids to bed awake, and with one I put on a classical music tape because it seemed to help, with my current one he has a "heartbeat" bear that lulls him to sleep and is motion activated if he ever wakes up in the middle of the night.

Answer by missanc at 1:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I didn't do it until my son was almost 2 years old. But at that point, it worked GREAT! The first night we went in 3 times, 5 minutes, 10 minutes after that, and 15 minutes after that I think. The second night it was only once or twice I can't remember, and the third night he went right to bed. He's now almost 4 and hasn't had a problem going to bed since.
    My daughter had a very different personality, but I had her fuss herself to sleep from the time she was born. She wouldn't scream like my son did though so I don't think that was really cry it out.
    You can always try variations, like go in 2 minutes, then 3 minutes later, then 4 minutes later so that you aren't letting the baby cry so long and if it seems like it's too much for your baby give up for the night. If I knew how well my son was going to respond I would have tried it much sooner.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My son is about to turn five and its only in the past year that I let him cry it out. He is by all means old enough to set and cry it out if he is that upset or needs to cool off. Great kid tho =) I however never let him cry it out as a baby. To each their own but I was a stay at home mommy while my husband worked full time thus I was able to be right there and cater to his every need and loved it =) He was such a happy baby =) I have a degree in early childhood education and development. We went over this method and like I said to each their own but a great point was made in that class and its something that stuck with me when I had my own child.
    Luv03

Answer by Luv03 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• It is normal for babies to wake up every few hours! Sleeping all night is a developmental milestone that all babies reach at different times. My 19 month old still wakes at night. My oldest didn't sleep all night until at least 2 1/2 years old. I didn't even sleep all night before I had kids. I always woke up to either go to the bathroom or for a drink of water.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Actually, Ferber says not to start any earlier than 4 months. I've read the book and have done online research. Also, unlike what aehanrahan said, it is not normal for a 4 month to wake up every few hours. They are perfectly capable of sleeping through the night by that age.
    Anyways, with my son, we did it when he was 7 months old. He was waking up every 2-3 hours. Not only did it affect us, but the lack of sleep at night was affecting his personality. We HAD to do something about it. The first night, he was asleep after 45 minutes (using the schedule that Ferber recommends). The second night, it took 20 minutes. By the third night, he was sleeping through the night. He is almost 2 now and has pretty much slept through the night ever since.
    I have a 4 month old now who wakes every 2-3 hours. We'll be starting the Ferber Method with her soon. My pediatrician recommends doing this method as well.
    ergreen

Answer by ergreen at 10:41 PM on Jul. 30, 2009