• In the Spotlight:

Who runs your government?

WASHINGTON – The National Rifle Association is warning senators that it will consider their votes on Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor as part of its influential annual ratings of lawmakers.

The NRA says President Barack Obama's first high court nominee has a hostile view of the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. It announced last week that it was opposing her nomination, although her confirmation in early August is virtually guaranteed.

Its promise Thursday to score the upcoming vote amounts to a threat to Republicans and conservative Democrats whose constituents are strong gun rights advocates. It comes one day after the gun lobby suffered a major loss in the Senate with defeat of a concealed weapon measure.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Special intrests group and Lobbiest run the country.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:56 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• It is so rampant that they just threaten in PUBLIC??!!??!!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:58 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Oooh and the Drug maker companies run the governemtn too
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

It's been that way for a very long time, but don't kid yourself. It hardly starts or ends with the NRA.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:06 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• The Nitwit Society...... :) A joke with a little truth in it....

I have a problem with a lot of the lobbying. But, in this instance the NRA is speaking for the people. The legislators don't seem to be listening to their constituents so I think it is good that there is a group that is powerful enough for them to listen to.

Don't get me wrong. A lot of groups only have their own interests in mind and could care less about what "we the people" want. That is not acceptable to me.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• They have the right to endorse who they want. I won't vote for anyone who is for the taking away of guns from law abidding citizens. Take them all criminals will be the only ones with guns. Makes no sense but most liberal bull makes no sense to me. Abort babies but cry over vile criminals on death row. Our bodies our choice but many dems want forced vaccinations. It makes no sense to me and never will. Get over it isn't that what we are told.lol
    Anonymous

• Big business runs the country. Thats why healthcare is not happening.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:31 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Who the pres. no matter what anyone says. He coerces (clearing throaght) to say the least.

Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 2:35 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• You need to listen to them. She doesn't feel that Amendments to the Constitution are necessarily binding to law. That is remarkable since her job on the Supreme Court would be to decide whether laws being passed are, in fact, Constitutional. She is a racist and a socialist. Yes, I said racist. She doesn't like white men. She basically said that they are stupid on any given day. I have 3 white sons. I don't need a racist justice sitting on the Supreme Court.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I have a problem with a lot of the lobbying. But, in this instance the NRA is speaking for the people. The legislators don't seem to be listening to their constituents so I think it is good that there is a group that is powerful enough for them to listen to.

So its ok when you agree with the lobbyist group? WOW I wonder where in the constitution it says anything about lobbying groups?? You should have NO problem with Insurance groups then. They are speaking for big drug companies and such, they are constituents too right? You HAVE to see there is NO sense to that...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:53 PM on Jul. 23, 2009