How are we seen abroad? Is it important?

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama's popularity has boosted America's image abroad even though deep suspicions about the U.S. persist in the Muslim world, according to a poll released Thursday.

The survey of two dozen nations conducted this spring by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center found that positive public attitudes toward the United States have surged in many parts of the world since Obama's election.

Positive opinions about the United States have returned to higher levels not seen since before President George W. Bush took office in 2001. The Bush presidency marked a steep decline in U.S. popularity overseas, notably after the 2003 invasion of Iraq, because of a perception that the post-9/11 war on terrorism was targeted at Muslims.

The image of the United States has improved markedly in most parts of the world, reflecting global confidence in Barack Obama," the center said in its annual Pew Global

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• How do you view Albania? How does your personal view of Albania impact their daily operation of government or the lives of citizens there?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:05 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Terrorists want to kill us off, No Matter How they view us.

Otherwise, people are dying to get in, so what difference does it make?

You have to stop caring incessantly about how we're viewed, because we cannot make everybody happy all of the time unless we lie down and die.

And they will never be happy anyways.
    And the tiny marmie -shwarmies can be ignored anyways, til they need some help!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:06 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• HMM...let's see, we can bend over and take it up the arse, but they will like us....or.....we refuse to take anyone else's crap and they hate us. I'll take the latter. Grace is right, they don't give a crap about us til they need help, or money, or food, or whatever a bleeding heart liberal deems is a "right".
    rotPferd

Answer by rotPferd at 1:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I don't horribly care what people think about me as a person, so why would I care about the way another country thinks of us?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Speaking as a Brit now living in Canada, I have to agree.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:20 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• So, to all you that don't think its important that our allies or our enemies have a more favorable view of us....You don't think that changes how they deal with us and how much they will or will not work with us?
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• So far it hasn't changed how they deal with us.

When Obama toured Europe, the Europeans were literally fawning all over him...but when Obama actually asked them to do something (provide some troops for Afghanistan), they snubbed him and only sent a few token cooks and nurses.

Anonymous

• The world is like a bunch of kids in a sandbox. One minute everyone is friends the next minute they aren't.

I personally don't give a fiddle faddle what our allies or enemies think of us. The US is the FIRST place other country's go when there is a crisis. That speaks volumes.

I think it was Reagan that said: You can measure a nation by how many people are trying to get in compared to how many are trying to get out.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Who cares how the world views us? I did not realize we were in a popularity contest. So what people in other countries love Obama's pretty speeches that are filled with lies and many times no substance. They are easily duped big deal and not surprising. About half of Americans now realize who Obama is and many more will in the coming months. What matters is what we think on our own soil.
    Anonymous

• I think it was Reagan that said: You can measure a nation by how many people are trying to get in compared to how many are trying to get out.

So true. I don't see too many Americans risking their life to flee America for Cuba.lol Yet according to Michael Moore and many of his followers they are better than us.lol
    Anonymous