Pre-school?

Do you think it is important to send your child to pre-school? Please briefly say why or why not! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it's important for me to send my son to preschool. My mil watches my youngest while I'm at work, so he gets no socialization time with kids his own age. I want him to have that time to get used to being around kids his age and to get used to having to share, both toys and attention. The learning is just a bonus for us, it's more about socialization.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I think it depends on your situation. My boys have each other, only 13 months apart. So they are learning to share with others. We also go to church and they have their class twice a week (sunday mornings and wed. nights) so they are in that setting with other children and a teacher. I also plan lots of outings and my parents and inlaws take them lots of places. I also have a degree in early childhood so we have time at home for learning just like they would receive in preschool. So for us, I think it works not to send them.
    Anonymous

• I think it IS important.
    Social skills
    speration from mom
    learning to follow group rules
    readinees skills for school
    structure
    independence
    Anonymous

• I think it totally depends on the child. I homeschooled my oldest for preschool. The youngest daughter I sent to preschool for 2 yrs. The oldest did great at home & learned alot. The youngest, her p[ersonality is such that she does much better with others alothough I think she didn't learn nearly as much there as the oldest did at home. I am planning on teaching my son here at home when the time comes. I think you should look at the programs offered & the child's personality & then decide. Also my girls got plenty of socialization through friends & church.
    mamabens

Answer by mamabens at 1:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Ditto to ANON 1:24
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:30 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Nope I by no means think its important to toss my son in pre-school. We have play dates two Saturdays per month along with him interacting with my friends kids. He plays sports with local children his own age so that helps for him to make new friends and we also get that chance.He is four and already reading, can spell simple common words such as DOG, CAT, CAR, THE, MOMMY, DADDY, etc. Along with learning his states and where they are located. I know he wouldn't get near the education in pre-school as he gets with me. I have a degree in early childhood education and I seen first hand how over loaded those pre-schools can get and the staff also worried me. Not just one location but a handful =( My husband makes great money so I happily stay home with our little guy to home school and will carry this on for the next few years before private school.
    Luv03

Answer by Luv03 at 1:59 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I think it is important for 2 of my three boys, not so much for my third.

Their challenges were greatly helped by attending preschool. My third has only a speech delay, and we are undecided if it is going to be necessary for him to attend.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I do. My daughter went to daycare since she was a baby. In daycare they have circle time, reading, stories, crafts structured play, etc. She learned everything she needed for Kindergarten. She was even reading quite well. But she was so comfortable at daycare it was just like a second home. She never learned to be in a classroom and have a teacher. Kindergarten was a very hard adjustment for her. She cried every day for 2 months. I think if I had to do it again, I would have definitely sent her to preschool at least 2 days a week to get some school experience.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:42 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Pre-school as in day care before real school? Or Pre-K at age 4-5? I don't find pre-school important. You can get your kid socialized elsewhere. So why waste the money and be stuck on a schedule before you need to? I think pre-k is early enough to get used to new set people and routines. Before that, they're still very much babies who need simplicity and their mothers. Moms are very capable of teaching their own kids. Playdates are wonderful. There's really no use for independence. That happens later and occurs best when not forced.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:59 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• i think its important both my kids went to pre school my oldest is excited to go to kindergarten and now my son will not be with his sister so he will be able to become more independent and make his own friends. i just think it depends on your situation and your kids personality.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 4:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2009