Candles for my Alter??

I buy most of my candles at the dollar store. They come in a box of 6 w/ one glass holder for $1... BUT they only have basic colors (white, red, blue, purple) I'm looking for gold and silver. I looked on line and actually found them but they were $6 EACH... Same size that I use... I'm sorry, but $6 for an 8inch taper is WAY to much! Does anyone know where I can get some at a decent price?

I know I will sound picky but I don't like the white ones that were just covered in the colored wax. and I wand 8 inch. That's what fits my alter best... 12 inch just is to big, 6 is to small...

Can anyone help?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You could look at michals thats where I got mine for a reasonable price. Also you could consider makeing your own. It is simple just melt down your Dollar store candles in a double boiler and add a couple of silver or gold crayons. It is also lots of fun. You can also get molds at Micheals or a whole kit. I have done it with white candles and the crayons before when I am strapped for cash.
    goddessmom

Answer by goddessmom at 1:15 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I agree with Goddess mom, it is alot of fun, I did these for Beltane ritual, another member of our coven was allowed to try her hand at conducting the ritual, and she wrote the whole thing off of Harry Potter, ( a little juvinile, but she also goes to a unitarian church, and thats what they do there too). SO I made metalic nifty swirly candles with all the house colors.

I used to get mine at a little store in the mall that JUST closed, so i am in the same boat as you.
    Are there any metaphsical shops around you? Sometimes they have good sales too.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 1:22 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• To be honest, I HATE making candles! It's just way to time consuming and really boring! Plus, it's hard to do since my DH is so against it... Also, There are no Metaphsical shops and I don't have a Michaels here either. They closed about a year ago... We have a Jo Ann Fabrics but they don't have candles any more...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:35 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• You can sub white candles for silver and yellow for gold. It won't look exactly the same, but it's a common substitution.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• That's what I'm doing now... Both white. But I want the gold & Silver... I'm just anal that way! lol

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:07 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Have you tried Azuregreen.com?
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:53 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Oh cool....I am going to bookmark that link gmasboy
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I will check with my friend that has an awesome metaphysical store and see if she knows of a source that has solid gold color and silver. I don't think she has any that are solid color in her store. I am helping them get ready for a festival soon so I will definately check for you.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:14 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Hobby lobby. Michaels. WalMart. Target. You have to hit the right holiday. I can only find black and orange candles at Halloween. Gold and Silver ones show up around the Yule along with dark greens and reds. I found some glitter-flocked gold and silver ones at WalGreens once. Our local Family Dollar store had a four pack of candles for specific things (luck, money, and so on).
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:27 PM on Jul. 23, 2009