breast AND bottle (formula) ? no bashing... don't turn this into a debate... please and thank you!!

My friend told me that with her daughter, she breastfed all day, but the night time feeding she fed with formula and her daughter slept all through the night like that. She said because the formula stays in their tummy and they don't wake up to nurse as much. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? If so, what formula brand do you suggest?

I had planned on just breast feeding, but if that works I would like to try that.

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 1:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I do both because my milk hadn't come in (I wasn't even getting cholesterom at first) I was induced early and my body simply wasn't ready. However now that my milk has come in I always put baby to breast first then give him formula ONLY if he needs it. I don't think he sleeps any longer because of it, in fact today he's only had breastmilk and hasn't slept since 7am. Yesterday he had a bottle of formula and was up most of the day as well. It depends on the baby, growth spurts, etc.... The formula they gave us at the hospital was Enfamil and so that's what we bought and he seems to like it fine, very little spit up (I make sure I burp between each breast and after each ounce of formula). He's growing appropriately and doing well. It's a personal choice and sometimes a mom can't breastfeed so go with what works for you and to heck with other people.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Yes, formula takes longer to digest.

Yes, it MIGHT help them to sleep longer, but many formula fed babies don't sleep through the night until they are much older (closer to a year).

Formula brand depends on what the baby can tolerate.

It has a strong likelihood of messing with your supply.
    Anonymous

• No bashing. I'm curious to see what others tell you. I had to bottle feed my son but with my daughter arriving at the end of the year, I'd love to nurse and want to understand all options open to me. Good Luck.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 1:15 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I kind of did it the opposite way. I pumped or did formula during the day in a bottle and nursed if they woke up at night. It didn't seem to make a difference of whether it was breast milk or formula in the bottle but they seemed to sleep longer and go longer inbetween feedings with a bottle. During the night if they woke up it just a lot easier to nurse then get a bottle all put together.
    Anonymous

• http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

Introducing ANYTHING other then breast milk before 6 months puts your child at a higher risk for allergies, and intestinal issues when they get older. GO read the ingredients on formula, actually find out what they are, do you really want that crap going in to your kid? Also, you'd be amazed at how many kids have issues with formula. If you have to find the "right one", why use it? The milk coming out of your breasts is ALWAYS the right one. The right temperature, the right nutrient mix, the right everything.
    Anonymous

• Higher risk for allergies and intestinal issues? Um..no.

Try getting a credible source where medical issues are concerned and stick to the question the original poster is asking! She even said not to start a debate!

The milk coming out of your breast is NOT always the right one! I have a very good friend who's son had so many ALLERGIES to food that her breastmilk almost killed him! He had to go to a very special, very expensive formula because her breastmilk was ALL WRONG. So...watch your hasty generalizations.
    Anonymous

• In my personal opinion you shouldn't try that until your milk supply is well established. Now, as for your question, yes I tried it. No, it did not work for me. He did not sleep any longer than usual, even though I would have preferred that he sleep. I have decided with my next one not to even attempt it as it just wasn't worth it with my son. Plus it's so much less work to simply nurse the baby in bed at night!
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 1:22 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I did both, and it honestly made no difference. As she got older, I didn't notice making sure she had a big bottle or a small meal before helped keep her from waking up as soon ... until she had a growth spurt then she was up no matter what! :)
    Anonymous

• I think that gottalovemal asked this not to be turned into a debate, so please, breastfeeding moms don't put down those of us that weren't able to breastfeed. Not every mom is able to breastfeed for one reason or another, and many of us have beat our selves up over this fact time and time again. I think that if we all try to do what is right for our children, no matter what that is, then we are doing the best that we can do. Just my opinion.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 1:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Yea my son projectiled my milk, and once he was on formula he was much happier and he has NO food allergies and digestive issues, oh and he's almost 16
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:31 PM on Jul. 23, 2009