What do I do with pattypan squash?

I keep getting pattypan squash in my farm share and I've never had it before!

What's it taste like? All of the recipes I find say to "trim" it. I assume they mean the tip, but do they want the fluted edges and peel trimmed away, as well?

I'm not a novice, but I have no idea what to do with these things! Any tried-and-true advice or recipes would be very appreciated!

Avarah

Asked by Avarah at 1:16 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Food & Drink

• You can use it the way you would use any squash; it has a really nice, light flavor. Here is a recipe for you: Mixed Spring Vegetables
    3/4 lb. (about 30) baby carrots, trimmed and peeled
    3/4 lb. (about 24) baby turnips, trimmed, or 1 pound turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
    3/4 lbs. haricots verts (thin green beans), trimmed
    3/4 lb. (about 30) baby pattypan squash, trimmed
    1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
    2 T. minced fresh chives, or to taste
    In a steamer set over boiling water steam the carrots and the turnips, covered, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until they are just tender, and transfer them to a large bowl. In the steamer steam the haricots verts, covered, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until they are just tender, and transfer them to the bowl. In the steamer steam the squash, covered, for 3 minutes, or until they are just tender, and transfer them to the bowl.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:02 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• In a large skillet melt the butter over moderate heat, add the vegetables, the chives, and salt and pepper to taste, and cook the vegetables, stirring, until they are combined well and heated through.

Serves 8.

• I have made this a couple of times. You can use any sausage:

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/9637?section=32

Answer by rkoloms at 4:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2009