Age Difference

What age limit would you place on your 12 year old son's friends? Meaning, how old would his oldest friend be allowed to be?

SeedsOfLove

Asked by SeedsOfLove at 1:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• 15 .. depending on your sons maturity level and their maturity level.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I agree, 15 is about right. Kids are soooo different at every age. They arnt like adults where we are pretty much the same at 32 and 35. Between 12 and 15 is usually a BIG difference. Its the influence that matters. Another 12-year-old can lead him into alot of trouble, or a 9-year-old for that matter. Or on the other hand a 15-year-old can teach him how to play soccer real good or get him interested in good things. Case by case senerio.
    Hollytree

Answer by Hollytree at 3:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Depends on the maturity on my child, I would say no older than 15. I would decide on a kid by kid basis.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:33 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Depends on the kids and the influence they have on each other. My son is almost 8 and has friends of all ages (boys and girls). From the youngest who is 2 1/2 (little boy that lives next door) to the oldest who is 12 1/2 (older brother of his best friend). They all play together on the street.
    When I was 13 my best friend was 8. We got along great and our parents didn't care. Her mom told me when I was older that I had been a great influence on her. We are 32 and 27 now and still best friends and now our daughters are best friends. Her dd just turned 10 and my oldest turned 9 the next day...they are more like sisters. (yeah, she had a kid at 17 but that wasn't my influence...I was off at college at the time, actually I had just gotten engaged when I found out about the baby.)
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I am facing that problem right now. We were nieghbors to a family who's boys are 2 and 3 years older than my son. He is now 12 which makes one of the other boys going into High School. I feel like that is to old now! The age difference wasn't so huge a few years ago. I am hoping the friendship naturally dies out this year after school starts. Anyway what could a freshman and a 7th grader have in common?
    JDubs76

Answer by JDubs76 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• 15 is a lot older than 12......but I would probably go by grade and maturity level....and what the circumstances are, what they do together...etc. I would say not more than two grades difference. The kids change a lot at this time, and they may lose touch and then be friends again down the road....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:55 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• 13 maybe 14 not older
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:15 PM on Jul. 27, 2009