The Fatness of It

If your child's doctor said that your child was fat, what would you do?

SeedsOfLove

Asked by SeedsOfLove at 1:19 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Re evaluate how I fed my child. If you know you feed your child healthy, then I would demand tests be taken to find out what the problem is. If your child is not in fact overweight according to charts and such you should be able to find them online, I would find a new doctor. Some Doctors are old school and insensitive and think there couldn't be a problem other than what you put in your mouth. I would judiciously look at what your doctor was saying and use your own common scence to evaluate it for truth or predjudice.
    goddessmom

Answer by goddessmom at 1:23 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• put him on a diet and make play outside and do active things more. its so important.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:23 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I had this happen. I wish that he had spoken to me about it privately instead of being so abrupt in front of my daughter. She felt horribly and it made her cry immediately. We worked on the types of foods that she (and we as a family) was eating and also worked towards increasing exercise through outdoors activities and fun sports with her friends so that it was not like being picked on. She was only 7 when this happened and as she grew taller she evened out quite a bit. Just be very delicate when discussing these things with your child. Make sure that they understand how much you love them and that you are working on bettering the health of the entire family so that they do not feel singled out. Best of luck to you Mamma.
    Anonymous

• Also....really really watch portion sizes. There is a great site named calorieking.com that can help you here. You would be amazed at how small portions really should be to get those vital nutrients.
    Anonymous

• See what I am doing to cause it. Honestly, when you look at the family of an overweight child, I can't help but notice that the whole family eats horrible, fatty foods. So obviously the diet of the child would have to change, but it would have to also change for the whole family.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I would do what I needed to help him be at a safe weight.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:46 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• That is not a word to use in front of a child! That said, by the end of next year, half of American children will be both undernourished & overfed; one third of our children will develop type 2 diabetes. I suspect that it is time for a family makeover. Start with a family walk or bike-ride after dinner; at least 3 times a week, at least 20 min a day. Past the age of two, the only beverage that human need is water. You can liven it up with slices of fruits or vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs, etc. Start replacing your simple grains with whole grains, add new ones like quinoa & wheat berries. Work your way up to six servings of whole grains a day. Increase the amount of fruits & vegetables that you eat. Get to 7-8 servings a day in at least 3 different colors. Cut way back on (or eliminate) meat & dairy. Eat at least 2 servings of legumes (tofu, beans, lentils, nuts, etc) a day. If you need recipes, send a msg

Answer by rkoloms at 7:58 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Thank you for being so sensitive and sincere. I appreciate your advice.

To the one who wrote:
    I had this happen. I wish that he had spoken to me about it privately instead of being so abrupt in front of my daughter. She felt horribly and it made her cry immediately. We worked on the types of foods that she (and we as a family) was eating and also worked towards increasing exercise through outdoors activities and fun sports with her friends so that it was not like being picked on. She was only 7 when this happened and as she grew taller she evened out quite a bit. Just be very delicate when discussing these things with your child. Make sure that they understand how much you love them and that you are working on bettering the health of the entire family so that they do not feel singled out. Best of luck to you Mamma.
    SeedsOfLove

Answer by SeedsOfLove at 10:27 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

I see your point. But we don't eat horribly fatty foods or junk foods. We have soy milk, low fat milk, no fat yogurt, salads, egg sandwiches, fruits and foods of the like. She is in baseball, track, yoga, and gymnastics, just to name a few sports.......

So what do you have to say to that?!?
    SeedsOfLove

Answer by SeedsOfLove at 10:29 AM on Aug. 3, 2009