Dogs

What type of dog is the best type of pet for a family and why?

SeedsOfLove

Asked by SeedsOfLove at 1:21 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Pets

• We have an Australian Cattle Dog (aka Blue Heeler). He is a really good dog and we don't have to worry about him around our 9 year old. The only problems we have had is him jumping up on people when he gets excited, and that can hurt my son a little sometimes due to his size.

Labs are great family dogs too.

honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I too am partial to cattle dogs...grew up on a farm and LOVE them but you need to make sure if you go that route that you have plenty of running room and that you have tons of time. They are very high energy and need to "work". They also make amazing baby sitters. Our Daezee Mae (RIP..blue heeler/border collie mix) would trap the kids into a corner of the yard and bark at me if they were getting too far out of HER comfort zone. A few times she even pulled them down by their diapers and sat on them until I made her get up...*laffs* dang I miss that old lady.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:31 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• i belive labs are a wonderful dog i have one and she is as calm as ever she lets my kids pull tug poke climb and feed and play in food and even pull away food and treats toys bones anything. and she wont even growl or bark if they are really bugging her she just gets up and leaves. and we have had her all my kids lives. and she is only a year older and my 3 yo. we have breed her several times and she doesnt even blink an eye when my 3 yo picks up or plays with the newly born puppes. some lab as puppies are energitic but with time training and excerise they are great pets and learn fast and all they want to do is to please you. i wouldnt give up my lab for anything and if i had the money i would clone her. but ill settle for a pick of the litter before she gets too old to breed.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• There are a lot of facters to consider when choosing the right dog for your family. If you have small kids, how much room you have, if you have time to walk them as much as they need. I personally love border collies. They are very loving and good with kids. They like to play and run outside a lot. grey hounds are really nice too. They don't shed as much, and they are actually really lazy dogs, but they do like walks.
    rlapierre03

Answer by rlapierre03 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• The type of dog generally is determined by what kind of lifestyle and how much work you want to put into the dog. For a house with small children, I would recommend at least a medium breed dog. Small dogs get hurt easier, and are not as child-friendly. When they are scared, they tend to nip and bite more quickly as well, while large breeds don't bite as quickly. Are you looking for high energy? Low energy? Short hair? Long hair? Great Danes make really good low energy family dogs, but they are huge. Any of the cattle breeds make excellent baby-sitters, but they are high energy and need exercise. There are about a 100 different combinations so I would say to research what exactly you want in a family dog, and then go from there!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 2:27 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I grew up with Labs and that is what we have now. Cazzie, our 2 year old black lab, is so sweet with our son. He can climb all over her and she just lays there. She loves to give him kisses and helps me clean him up after he eats, LOL. She has never been aggresive towards anyone and is very lovable.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I think Labs make great family pets. They are so easy going, they love to be with their family. They are great with people and gentle with children. They are great dogs in every way!
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 6:59 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• a standard poodle. don't shed, low energy, smart,loyal and super kid friendly.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:11 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• labs are great, grew up with one and my parents have her still (we were going to have to get rid of her b/c of my children and her age but we ended up moving so she isn't around my kids as much anymore) but up until this year (shes 13) she didn't care what anyone did, she was always protective of us as kids, very energetic and loved to chew as a puppy though. i have a chihuahua/min pincher mix, and hes great with my daughter as well, however we got him as a puppy then found out i was preg, so as a puppy we trained him to be used to kids, pulling tails, stealing food etc...he's never once snapped at her, he'll just walk away, if she chases he'll bark and come looking for myself or my husband and hide by us til we tell her to calm down and that he doesn't want to play. it really depends on what you want to do w/the dog, what size home you have (we have ours b/c we had a townhome w/no yard didn't want a big dog to not have a yard
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• mutts the seem more reliable and faithful exspeacially if u rescue them...i have a pound puppy we guess hes sheperd/ rotti and i have said it befor he has saved my dd life more then once...i believe its his way of paying us back...im living with my parnets right now b/c i cant find a place to rent that will allow big dogs and i wont dump him in a shelter for 1 we all love him and it would crush me and my dd and for 2 hes 5 yrs old he'll be put to sleep b/c hes to old to be rehomed
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2009