how do you speak ONE YEAR OLD???

i am watching my one year old niece. she won't stop screaming and crying. how can i calm her down and make this transition easier for the both of us when her mom leaves her with me to go to work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does she do it all day, or just when her mom leaves? If she just does it when her mom leaves then it should end. Normally what I would do is give them cuddles for a little bit, then I would go on about my day, I learned that once I stopped constant coddling it ended quicker
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:25 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Well alot of times, distraction works. Also if the mother feels any anxiety or guilt about leaving the child, the child will respond with distress. If her mother is makeing prolonging the goodbyes and makeing a big deal over it you may want to stop that. It will make a hudge difference.
    goddessmom

Answer by goddessmom at 1:27 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• First, remember all that stuff you learned in school about grammar and language? Throw it out the window! Distractions, silliness, wierd noises and faces. She's going to cry when her mommy leaves, but taht's OK. She'll get over it. if she wants to cry for a few minutes, let her. Hold her close and then after a bit put her down and do something crazy to get her attention. Like get on all fours and meow like a cat and then ask "Is that what a dog sounds like? Can you show me how to be a dog" and then say ribbit and hop!
    Anonymous

• 1 year olds can not reason at all. You need to accept that she's going to scream and rant and rave. sometimes changing scenery helps. As soon as mommy leaves try going out on a walk with a portable cd headset on her with quiet music playing. or just go out with her and run with the stroller every little bit. Taking her away from where she saw mommy leave her might help. But being as she's just one she'll find something else to scream about. I've been a stay at home mom for 25 years with kids still at home. And I did leave my kids here and there with sitters of course.

Oh take bubbles out with you, she might like that. And sometimes whispering in a screaming kids ear will quiet them down. You can also trygiving baby a soft whistle for her to go around blowing. But really one and two year olds scream to live and live to scream. Keep a routine for her but expect more crankiness being away from mommy.
    Anonymous

• Goddessmom is absolutely right. We used to care for a child in our home, and when his dad would drop him off, he would lean in, tell him he loved him and that he or mommy would come back and get him as soon as they could. Then he would leave. Now, this boy would cry for about 5 minutes, but would then find something to do. When his mom would drop him off, she would sit on the front porch and rock him back and forth for about 5 minutes. Then she would hug him like 10 times and remind him over and over again that someone was coming for him. I am sure that she thought she was doing what was best for him. But those days, he would cry all day. She seemed so reluctant to leave him. Finally, my husband said something to her, and she started following her husband's routine. He would cry for about 5 minutes, then find something to do.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• i've done the cuddles, it doesn't work. i've tried distraction that doesn't work either. i've stood holding her for hours, played different games, given her a drink/snacks, everything or pretty close to everything.
    Anonymous

• My son was/is totally undistractable. walks helped the most at that age, or trips to the store, then once we got back he was in a better mood. Bath? if she likes those! bubbles? depends on some things if she's able to walk yet or not though - it usually took one huge distraction like going to the store to help my son get out of his mood
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Try the other side, then. ignore her. Just let her cry and go about your business like nothing is wrong.
    Anonymous