breastfeeding mommys!! I'm lookin into breast pumps... any suggestions?

I was going to buy the $300 medela brand, but was advised to wait and make sure everything goes ok with the breastfeeding before i make such a huge purchase (and I won't need it until around 6 MO anyway. (I'm 32 weeks prego) Does anyone have a cheaper one or a brand that they really love and rely on? And breast pumping/feeding tips? I have PUPP (the all over rash that some pregnant women get) would that effect pumping?

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 1:25 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was able to stay at home with my little boy for the first 3 months, and I used the Lansinoh manual hand-held pump when I needed to. It was a life savor and worked wonderfully. Now that I'll be going back to work, I wanted to get an electric pump, however I didn't want to spend $300. I bought a Medela pump in style for $50 from a lady off of Craigslist. It's a few years old, but is just like new. You can buy a new breast shield and tubing for it for less than $20 if you didn't feel comfortable using one that someone else had used. My pediatrician recommended buying one secondhand, and I'm so glad I did.
    Lindzh01

Answer by Lindzh01 at 7:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Do not go for the cheaper versions. I have had 2 cheaper versions & even though I only pump when we go out or for church(3 times a week) They both burned out in just a couple of months. I have had pretty good luck with the medela hand pump since I dont' pump often it works ok. I HATE pumping though. I'd rather just discreetly nurse my son. Go into nursing with the attitude that it WILL work & nothing will stop you. Know that the first 4-6 weeks can be hell & the baby will seem to be attached 24/7 but it's normal, it's supposed to be that way. Get some lanolin cream & apply that after each nursing session. I wouldn't pump for the first 4 weeks unless you're so engorged you need the relief. ALso, have absolutely NO formula samples around. THey are way too tempting at 3am when you are hormonal, tired & have a baby that wants to eat non stop. Also if you're ok with co sleeping do that, it's a definite help for you when it comes
    mamabens

Answer by mamabens at 1:31 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Cont.
    to getting sleep. I still wouldn't get sleep if I didn't co sleep with my 5 month old.
    mamabens

• go for the 300 one. I had a cheaper one to at first and it was bad bad bad. I actually financed mine thru the hospital where my baby was born and made like 50 a month payments on it. It lasted all 4 kids and was great each time. Good luck

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 1:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I used the Ameda Purely Yours pump and it was WONDERFUL!!! They're not as expensive as the Medela, you can get them on ebay for $100 or less sometimes. I got mine on ebay new for around $100 and had no problems whatsoever, and I pumped ALOT!! The company is really good too; if you need a replacement part you can just call them, order over the phone and it will be there within a couple of days.

Like someone else said, get some lanolin cream to prevent nipple soreness. The name brand is Lansinoh but the store brands are just as good and not as expensive. You can get it at any drug store or Wal-mart. Start putting it on your nipples after the FIRST feeding and it works wonders!! I also highly recommend the book "On Becoming Babywise". It is a lifesaver those first few weeks, getting your baby on a flexible routine.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:59 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I just had the Medela and absolutely loved it. I was also told that the cheaper ones were not as good, and were not as comfortable or easy to use. But that is my only experience, so I don't know about any of the less expensive ones. Sorry!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I have a manual hand pump made by Medela. Its the Harmony pump and only costs $35 at BRU. It was great because I didn't know if I needed it, but wanted something just in case BFing didn't work very well. I stopped BFing after 2 weeks because it was way too painful, then pumped for 2 weeks, then went to formula when he was 4 weeks old. I lent the pump to my friend, but will need it back now that I'm expecting #2.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 23, 2009