Anyone ever had to get a HSG test done?

I am suppose to contact my doctor if I get my period next month to schedule for this test. Anyone been through this already? What should I expect?

mommytobrooke

Asked by mommytobrooke at 1:35 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• They thread a catheter into you (think PAP, but more uncomfortable and for a longer time). They inject die and watch it on a screen to see if it goes through your fallopian tubes. If it gets stuck they may shoot more die to try to clear the blockage. I understand it can be painful if they do find a blocked tube and try to clear it, but I don't know that first hand since mine weren't blocked. The insertion of the catheter can cause cramping (they told me mild, but it seemed pretty severe to me). I wasn't told to take anything before I had it done, but my friend was prescribed Tylenol III before hers. Afterwards I had some mild cramping and spotting for a day or two. Really for me the only part that was really bad was when they first put the catheter in and I cramped really bad.
    Anonymous

• Mine wasn't that bad. I took Motrin before hand and had no cramping. I have a stubborn cervix, so it took a while.
    KrisCMomx1

Answer by KrisCMomx1 at 6:26 PM on Jul. 24, 2009