I'm having a hard time potty training my 3 year old any sugestions?

michelejv

Asked by michelejv at 1:41 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son was 26months when he started to pee in the potty and on his own. I should have known that was just too easy because it took me nearly the whole year to teach him to POO in the potty. Finally he did right before turning three. Since he was already peeing in the potty I explained that if he pooed he would get to go to the store and pick out what he wanted etc. I also kept his favorite candy close by and any time he went to try to go poo on the potty I gave him one *but that didnt WORK because he would just try and get candy* All children are different but then right before he turned three I had tried too long and hard so I simply told him "I'm sorry but untill you can poo like a big boy in the potty then we cant go to the park" I SWEAR IT WASNT EVEN 48 hours later =) I wish I would have thought of it earlier =) LOTS OF LUCK!!!!
    Luv03

Answer by Luv03 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Take her to the store and pick out lots of character underwear (Kohl's has a lot). Tell her tomorrow you will wear big girl underwear and go on the potty. Tell her how proud you are of her. The next morning put her on the potty when she gets up. Put on her new undies. The first day put her on the potty every half hour or so. Give her m&ms every time she goes. The next day she should be able to tell you when she has to go, but probably not in time. Stay positive. Stay home for about 3-4 days while you do this. It should only take a few days until she is totally trained. Never go back to diapers (except at night). I did this with my kids and they were trained totally in 3 days. Good luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:11 PM on Jul. 23, 2009