Teaching 2 year old to talk?

My son is 2 years old ( 28 months). He was in speech therapy and were on a break now his SP believed he was to young. But anyways he says Go, Mama/mom, ball, uh oh,no, kitty, baby & bye which sounds like buh ( couple times). He understands alot and usually does something if I ask. He is an only child and I'm a sahm. He is an independent child and doesn't mind playing alone. So far no signs of autism. I;m just wondering how I can teach him to talk? I read to him and talk to him. I ask body parts and he knows them when he pays attention enough. He just only points he doesn't try to repeat them. The only words he will repeat is the one's he already knows. Please don't bash me... What is an effective way to teach him that he will catch on... Thank you in advance...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get a new speech therapist!!! He should not be taking a break, he is not too young! My son is receiving speech. He has a severe delay, not saying his first word until 23 months.

You're doing everything you can...and keeping up with what the speech therapist was doing, too, right? Keep at it and call EI and get this fixed. With EI he should be receiving services year round until he transitions to CPSE.

No...if my son can go from saying NO words to using complete sentences in 10 months, a 2 year old (in general) is NOT too young!!! You need a new speech therapist.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:07 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• This is my 2nd SP , we went to I believe 8 appts. at 1 a week for 30 mins. My son would have tantrums and would just want to leave. His SP said he was doing better at home because at all the vists he only said bye/buh once and go. he learned how to sign more at speech and I taught him please at home.

The first SP we went to 4-5 times at once a week for 30 mins also. she really didn't do anything and was very rude. I didn't think she was the right person so I switched and after 2 months and a new referral which was hard to get .

The new SP wanted us to return in September...

What is cpse?
    Anonymous

• I thought I was reading my own post, LOL! Our FS is 28 m/o has been in speech for 7 months and is doing really well. His speech therapist is thru the Early Childhood Intervention program, and they come to our house weekly for 45 minutes. I can't believe that you have to take him in, it's no wonder that he won't talk in a new, unfamiliar environment. Ours is an "only" & I am SAHM, also. He didn't really get into very many words until abou 25-26 months. But if I were you, I would contact ECI, call your dr. for info & see if they will come to your house. He needs consistency & he's already had 2 therapists, (not your fault). ECI only works with them until 36 m/o, so call ASAP!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My son has been in speech therapy since 18 months. It isn't too early. I'd also look into your state's Early Intervention program. They come right to our house and he's made wonderful progress. Your state probably has a web site so try looking there for info.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2009