Hey moms my daughter just got her monthly for the first time and needless to say i was not ready at all. Now it's been about two weeks is that normal. At first it was light now it's kinda heavy. what do i do.

al4mykids

Asked by al4mykids at 2:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• you are actually supposed to take them for their first pap when they begin the periods or when they become sexually active whichever comes first. it will be a good chance for her to ask any questions she may not be comfortable asking you, and for a doctor to explain everything to her. but everyone's period is different and as long as it isn't affecting her in any harmful ways (overtired, etc..) than it will take awhile for it to regulate itself.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:17 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Her menses might be "off" for a while until her body gets used to the new hormones, but you should still take her to a gynecologist for an exam to make sure everything is okay and that she is in good reproductive health.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I agree with mom2aspclboy. It's true. When it first starts, it's all over the place. When I first got mine it was irregular and eventually got heavy. This is not true for every woman. It takes time and a lot of factors enter into how her cycle will pan out. A lot of it is hereditary. My mother experiences menorrhagia(sp) (excessive menses) at an early age. Think of how it was for you and it may be the case for her. Also how much exercise and diet factor into it too. And like mom2aspclboy said, get her to a gyno. That will tell you much more than you can learn on here.
    islandmom85

Answer by islandmom85 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• can you remember when you started yours, was yours regular from the start? mine wasn't. so i told both of my girls when they each started, one started at 11yo and i don't remember the other's age, that they might never be regular or they might be after a good while.

i'm not sure that taking a young girl who just got her period to a gynec is necessary. there are several writings of mybodymyself that give good info. If after months of cramps that clearly are painful takeher in. our bodies though even as grown women without gyn problems are difficult months here and there.

She's just growing mom. Think back to your beginning time and comfort her. If she's dating even at a young age one boy or going out with boys and girlfriends to malls and hanging out I'd think hard about at least condoms being available to her.
    Anonymous

• I was only 10 when I started. My mom was not ready either. But it was really light just for a few days and then would skip a month or two. It didn't become regular until I was about 12. I would think bleeding for 2 weeks wouldn't be right for anyone. I would take her to the doctor.
    Anonymous

• everyone is different, but if you have concerns, call the doc. My first I bleed really light for just 4 or 5 days but then nothing for 6 month then a really heavy long flow I think about 10 days. So it really just depends on the hormones. It's probably normal. After that I was a 6 week cycle with 7 days bleeds.
    Anonymous

• She won't have regular or consistent periods for a while. I do suggest taking her to the doctor to make sure she is developing normally.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• i got my period at 10 1/2 i was regular to start and as i aged it became irregular thats y i couldnt tell i was preg with dd...her body will regulate it self or u could go to the dr and have her put on a low dose hormon bc this will help her regulate
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 9:05 PM on Jul. 23, 2009