Healthcare Reform is gone, enter Health Insurance Reform...why did Obama change is mind?

I noticed in the program/transcripts last night that Obama is no longer referring to the healthcare legislation as HEALTHCARE REFORM. He is instead calling it Health INSURANCE reform.

Your thoughts ladies.....

I am not providing any links because I am sure all of you that answer this either watched the program or read the transcripts.

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 2:06 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think healthcare could be made better by making just a few changes. I am willing to bet they could come up with a great plan and it be only be a couple of pages long.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• He does seem fond of changing the title of things when the pressure mounts! Likely to confuse the public? "It's not UHC, it's REFORM" or "It's not a STIMULUS package its a STABILITY package," etc...
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:10 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Health Insurance companies are in need of reform. They need to let doctors do their work. Not to say what  X-rays ,ultrasounds ,surgeries can be done.

Anonymous

• Health Insurance companies are in need of reform. They need to let doctors do their work. Not to say what X-rays ,ultrasounds ,surgeries can be done.

Agreed but what is being proposed actually will do the exact same thing as what insurance companies do now. There will be preexisting conditions still and people won't get the care they need if they are too old or disabled. So what is proposed will only make things worse and is not reform.
    Anonymous

• I think that the whole healthcare reform was too big and he is pushing to fast. Yes, there are serious problems with our healthcare system, but the minute details have to be read and complete before it goes through congress. If he is honest, and not just renaming things, healthcare insurance reform would be a great start to improving some of the problems with our healthcare system.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 2:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I think that the more people talk about it the more the "light" is going off that the fact that so many americans don't have health insurance is because of the costs.

I mean, come on, why is it that I can pay XX amount a month for sometimes years-never get sick and then when something happens they can drop me for no reason?? Many americans pay lots of money each month thinking that they are protected if something was to happen to them and come to be-they aren't.

There is an issue of millions NOT having coverage-but if premiums were lower and more responsible-more people could afford their own insurance. Not have a government run insurance branch. That is just no a sensible approach to me, anyways. We don't have health insurance right now bc it would be too much for us. But that sure as heck doesn't mean that I want a government ran health care either. I want fair service for my payments.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• And-I am tired of paying premiums for coverage that never gets used. Really. Our auto insurance went up this past month for no reason. Now, we have full coverage on 2 vehicles and renters insurance and we pay a good premium. Never had a claim in 6 years-and our prices go up.

Why? I haven't done anything wrong. Where is our voice in this situation? For too long, its been pay up or we'll come after you for it. But to me, I am like-I pay YOU money to provide me a service and I get screwed. I call and get the run around. Same for credit cards. Sure you "agree to the small print"-but I am sick of giving people money just to have an upper hand over me all the time.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

I personally think that it is absolutely crazy that I can see my doctor for 5 minutes and get a bill for 75 dollars. Really-isn't that price gouging or something.
    Anonymous

• I agree anon 40. That is price gouging to me. Health Insurance companies really need an overhaul.
    Anonymous

• It is a matter of semantics. He realizes that changing terms softens the impact of the true program. It's the same as saying, "My car is broken down." versus, "My car is machanically impaired." Both mean the damn thing doesn't work. The second is just more PC than the other and both are crap.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 23, 2009