Why would you think that parents on public assistance can manage to have more children than the parents who don't receive public assistance?

Do you have any proof?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Don't need proof other than to drive to the part of town where all the welfare recipients live and you will see 5-6 kids running out of each house. I guess I could drive over there and video tape it for you. Then drive by the neighborhoods where the working middle class and upper middle class live and you see 2-3 kids running around only supervised.

No need to be offended just speaking about my area.  So don't choose to be offended.

Anonymous

• Probably nobody does. Just no one likes to see the system being cheated.
    Anonymous

• Nobody I guess has real proof but what else do people think when there are people on the system and seem to be doing fine with five kids and then you have a family with one, who would like to add another, but can't afford it because they aren't using the system?
    Anonymous

• "but what else do people think when there are people on the system and seem to be doing fine with five kids and then you have a family with one, who would like to add another, but can't afford it because they aren't using the system?"

Puzzling! I know a family who has 4 kids and live on assistance. Meanwhile I wish I could have just one more child but I can't even provide another room to accommodate a new child.
    Anonymous

• No proof, but I see people on PA have less self-imposed barriers to having more children than people who are not on PA. I'm not on PA, and I would never intentionally get pregnant if I didn't feel fairly certain I'd be able to pay for my baby's needs without any outside help. I feel like some people on PA may not have that same sense of personal responsibility (I'm not talking about the ones who are on PA because of difficult times beyond their control or the ones who are trying to become self-sufficient before they have more children). To me, it's kind of like children with parents who continue to pay their bills when they are adults - they have no motivation to be self-sufficient and lack a general belief in personal responsibility...at least as it applies to them.
    Anonymous

• Here's how I see it...... a lot of people who receive welfare for lengthy periods of time stop worrying about where their next meal is coming from. They have plenty of food, a roof over their head, no credit to accumulate debt and no bills. They don't look for work because, well, why should they? They can have more kids, and have things like more food, cash, rooms in their house paid for. Their standard of living does not change, so why not? You can argue that there are many who work and still need PA to survive, and you'd be right. But we all know at least one friend or family member who is the "career welfare recipient". And yes, they can manage to have more children because they don't have to work more to support them.
    Anonymous

• If someone else is footing the bill, there are no limits. When you are taking care of yourself and those you created, you set limits.
    Anonymous

• i had WIC twice pretty much for the formula and my kids have the medical. i only have 2 kids and i got my tubes tied. i have sister in law that uses PA but the father of her kids is a dead beat dad and she had to go to court so many times and she has to work but barely can afford child care. oh and she only has 2 kids, the father just recently started paying child support and she really has no choice. some people really do need it and for good reason.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 3:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Why would you think that parents on public assistance can manage to have more children than the parents who don't receive public assistance?

Because parents on PA usually don't work so they have more time for sex?
    Anonymous

• you know, there are some people that are on PA with children are depressed because they cant find work and want to give their children everything that they didnt have. I knew a family that was on PA for maybe 5 o5 6 years, and they were both very depressed because the husband can only find low paying jobs and he wanted to get his children out of the bad neighborhood that they live in and wanted to give them the world. I admit that there are career PA recepients but not all are the same. Some actually worked all of their lives and had hard times fall on them and had no choice but to get on PA.
    Anonymous