Can foreclosure happen if the home owner is deployed?

Is there anything in the Soliders and Saiolrs Act that can help stop such a process, especially since the notice of default has been done and the house is already scheduled for sale?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know specifics, but I thought that if a soldier was deployed they got money for housing and that money had to go to the home payments??
    Anonymous

• The way I understood it, you cannot pursue anyone under the SSA for debt, however, if there is more than one name on the contract, you can still pursue the other person. I haven't had to deal with it in a while, so I would suggest asking the military for clarification. We had a hands off policy for anything military if the debtor was deployed, but only if they were the sole account holder.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:45 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Hmm..You can use the SSCRA to delay court proceedings, but it seems like you've already passed that point. Tell your husband/SO to talk to the legal dept in his unit.

Good luck :(

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 2:54 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Yes, you can still go through a forclosure with a deployed spouse ESPECIALLY if the notice of forclosure was given before he left... your hubby MAY also be getting in trouble for the house going into forclosure.. he can lose security clearance due to financial difficulty.

as to the ANNON post... yes military get a housing allowance. whether or not the active member is deployed. unfortunately that housing allowance doesn't ALWAYS cover everything 100% but that's where WISE money management comes in.
    Anonymous

• you need to talk to navy legal. I believe there MAY be something that will help you out, however, your hubby may get in trouble for the house going into forclosure, worst case scenario, he could get kicked out.
    Anonymous

• Call base legal
    Anonymous

• He can get into a ton of trouble. How and why did the home get foreclosed? His chain of command is going to be super pissed when they find out about it. They will ask him where in f-ing hell is his money going to. His entire paycheck is non taxable. they give you like 1500 more a paycheck at least for simply being deployed. There are not many places to be spending his money over there either. It is not going to be pretty at all. I have seen others go through it it was usually the spouse spending the soldiers money unwisely. Like I'm gonna go buy me a brand new car straight out with out having to make payments, along with a boat and some other cool stuff. One guy had to come state side to get a divorce from his wife she was spent all his money on her new boyfriend. I myself came back from deployment with 50,000 in my account and that was after paying child support and my mom had an atm credit card for any other expenses

lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 4:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• We fell behind prior to his leaving and were making pymts up. They wanted it all and we couldn't do it. Even though I have POA they won't talk to me. I need to find a way to stop this.
    Someone told me the SASA only helps those who joined the service after such a debt, like if he had joined the service after he bought the house. Does any one know if this is tru.
    Anonymous