How do you get a breastfed baby to take a bottle?

My daughter is almost 5 months and has been exclusively breast fed. Always had a hard time taking a bottle and didn't have much luck pumping. Since I am home with her there has really been no need for a bottle. My last doctors app. the baby had not gained weight but had grown in lenght. The doctor was a little concerned and wants me to supplement with formula. I thought the last few weeks she was a little fussy from teething. The doctor wants to make sure its not my milk production. We have had a death in the family this last month so maybe it is stress. How do I get her to take a bottle? I have tryed so many brands.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you may look into a sns (supplimental nursing system) they are tubes that you tape to your breasts. it allows you to breast feed while giving formula... hope this helps good luck.
    Anonymous

• Try calling La Leche, they could have hints for you. I both formula fed and breast fed one of my kids. The other two I breastfed. When she wakes up in the morning having hopefully slept a bit longer, try her first feeding to always be bottle. Make sure nipple is right for her. Maybe it's too small or formula to come through or too big for her mouth and tummy with too much coming at once. Try to when she wakes from naps to bottle feed her as well as when she wakes from night sleep. She might associate waking with bottle and adjust to that. I'm sure some other moms will have some great suggestions. You're a fantastic mom no matter breast or bottle.
    Anonymous

• Just go to babies r us and but a bunch of bottles. It not the matter of her taking it. its finding one she likes
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 2:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I had a terrible time with my daughter too- she went straight to a sippy cup! Can you pump enough breast milk to mix with the formula? Sometimes it's the taste of the formula that they don't like.
    warrenfamily95

Answer by warrenfamily95 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Um. If she's gaining 4-6 pounces per week her gain is FINE. Doctors ask for too much gain and then wonder why we have a nation of fat kids.

If you need her to take a bottle, hand her to dad or someone else with the bottle, and you DISAPPEAR.

Drop by the breastfeeding moms group for more help. I suspect you're being led down the garden path into a bed of weeds.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:19 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I had to have someone else give my son his bottle for a while until he became more used to having one. Now I'm able to give him a bottle if needed. They often smell the milk and won't take the bottle from mom.
    Lindzh01

Answer by Lindzh01 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Thank you everyone for your help.I have been tring to nurse her more often to try to get my milk production back up. Don't know if its working but she seems happier already. We had a few stressful weeks with a death in the family and I had my period. maybe my productin did dropped. I am greatful she didn't loose any weight just didn't gain. I will try the mixing breast milk and formula see how she does with that. thaks again
    skbsmom

Answer by skbsmom at 9:55 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I found that if I had someone else feed her.

I left the room and almost the house completely and didn't let her see me - if I wasn't there it was fine to take a bottle but as soon as I made my presence known....bottle was out.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:36 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• As gdiamante said, she probably doesn't need the formula. How many diapers were you changing in a 24 hour period? If she is producing enough dirty diapers, your supply is just fine. The diaper count is the ONLY way to know how your supply is.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:10 PM on Jul. 24, 2009