Is 18 months too young for time out?

I babysit a little boy with a temper. If I tell him no, he chucks his toy across the room and picks up other toys and throws them. I don't put up with that in my home. I have a three year old who has never thrown tantrums (not because I am a perfect parent, she's just a very, very easy going kid). So my solution is to pick him up, say we don't throw and put him in a corner. He normally throws a fit, cries and yells for about a minute, then calms down. After he calms down, I give him another minute of sitting and tell him he can go play, but not throw.

His dad doesn't discipline him, just picks up what he throws. (But dad only has him for a month in the summer...)

So, is that a good way of handling the situation, or is he too young for timeouts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nope, not too young at all. I started them at 15 months with my son because he was born angry and stubborn too.. Although now at 20 months he will put do something naughty on purpose and put himself in time out..lol!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• that is great if it works for him
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My kids started being put in "time outs" as soon as they started acting out. No such thing as too young
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• if it works for you, go for it. My son was too young at 18 months for timeouts. He just didn't connect the two events so it had no effect. Confiscating the toys worked better for us. But hey, that's what parenting is all about, finding what works for your child!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2009