How long does it take for your milk to dry up?

Hi. I am weaning my 7 month old from the breast because I have to take medication that will pass to her through my breast milk. I haven't nursed her in nearly 3 days and my boobs are still like rocks. The first day I tried pumping a tiny bit to make myself more comfortable but I don't want to keep producing milk. Any advice on how to make it more bearable? And how long is this going to take???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• take a hot shower and do not pump it will do away in a few days mine went away in 3 days
    victoriak12708

Answer by victoriak12708 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• it took like 5 days and they still leaked a lil for a few weeks
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• DId you check with the LC about the meds before stopping? Always do that...if YOU decide its time to wean for sure..sage tea helps dry up milk..hand express milk til it doesn't hurt or even pump but not til empty just til it doesn't hurt..cut back slowly...never wean cold turkey unless you have too
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• try placing cabbage leaves over your breasts...it will draw out your milk and dry you up faster.
    aguerra13

Answer by aguerra13 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• You can still breastfeed on medication or find an alternative medication. You NEVER want to dry up quickly. For one, your baby needs that milk. Second, you're putting yourself at risk for a painful and serious infection. Always wean slow. It'll be easier on both you and your baby. Though there's probably no need to wean at all.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2009