Has anyone gotten interest in their geneology or studied their ancestors?

If so, how did you like it? Did you find anything interesting? My grandmother is big time into geneology and I think I got my love for it from her, but I have spent the last few days studying up on my family trees. It is quite time consuming and I have done the 14 day trial with ancestry.com but after I get all I need, I am going to print it and cancel my membership. I cant afford the $20 a mo for it, even though the amt of information is overwhelming. Just a sample of what I found.....My great great great great great grandfather was Nathaniel Pass from Caswell Cty, NC and he had immigrated here from Ireland (thus the reason for my auburn hair and freckled arms) but we believe it was his brother, John Pass that was the John Pass that worked on the Liberty Bell in PA. It was originally spelled Passe. I thought that was so interesting...I also found out that Nathaniels great grandson was a slave owner.....I was so embarassed!

momofsaee

Asked by momofsaee at 3:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I've done a ton of geneology as well. I've traced quite a few different lines. the Hamptons - Hampton, virginia and General Wade Hampton jr and sr. (confederate gen.)

the book cold mountain - the main character is a cousin a few generations ago (my dad likes to joke that a cousin slept with nicole kidman lol)

I've traced most back 15or so generations all in the US which is handy. but some come up to canada which surprised me a bit.

I've been working with my great aunts building that side of the family too. My great great grandpa was the first baker in california oh so many years ago. I have his recipe card collection.

I've been working with dh's grandma too trying to find out about his family.

its all so fascinating.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:15 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• The first baker in CA?? Thats so cool! I think everyone could find at least one thing in their family that is fascinating. I did do a bit on my husband too and found out that his great great great great grandparents were first cousins...ha. I told him he was inbred....LOL...We got a good laugh.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:23 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• fun to find these quirky little things about our ancestors that you can look at your family today and go AAAAHHH....I get it now. LOL. maybe thats why I'm a chef. I did find out something too about the names - i named my dd Susanne - and then got into geneology and found that in every generation of my mom's maternal line there's a Susan or Susanne back as far as it goes - kinda freaky but neat.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:35 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I think if you approach the Mormons, they'll do it for free, becuase they believe they convert all those souls to Mormonism in the process!
    dawnharvey68

Answer by dawnharvey68 at 7:33 AM on Jul. 24, 2009