How would it make you feel?

My sd was visiting with us and we all went on vacation when coming back home she was complaining about a tummy ache all the way we tried to comfort her the best way we could turns out she started her period :) (she is 10yrs.)

Any way when we got back she told her mom (the mom said aaww!!! I wanted you to start with me) I kind of felt bad for her but I guess she felt she was not there for her daughter's first period.

Is it really a biggie?

How would you have reacted?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• As a mother you want to be there for all the big moments in your child's life. Now getting your period isn't exactly a "moment" because it is a bit more gradual than that, but I think the mother was just expressing her acknowledgement that this was a big time for this litlle girl. Was she nasty to you or to the girl? It doesn't sound like it..... 10 is very young. My daughter was almost 13 and it was still hard to adjust to in a way. I was surprised I felt that way, but it wasn't a good feeling for me. It was like too concrete an indication that she wasn't a kid anymore or something...and it is a lot for a girl to deal with when they are young (like 10). Also, the period is a more mother/daughter thing than a father/daughter thing so....not that anyone could plan it, but it was awkward timing! It sounds like everyone handled it okay to me!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:53 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• As if the girl had control over it! I think that's just a weird strange thing to say.
    Anonymous

• I can see how anyone would want to be there for a milestone in their child's life but seriously do people need to say stuff like that? I feel like comments like" I wanted to be there" belittle our time with our step children!
    JDubs76

Answer by JDubs76 at 11:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I wouldn't have been offended or sad. I think I would have just asked you questions to see how you, as the stepmom, handled it. Then together you guys discuss how you are going to handle this situation from now on. I say this because my stepsons mom and I discuss everything together.
    My4LuvBugs07

Answer by My4LuvBugs07 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• That's nature and there is nothing that can be done about it. If I had a daughter, I wouldn'tbe celebrating her period. My niece, on the other hand, I will jump for joy because hopefully it will calm her down.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I would probably have been a little upset that I wasn't there to comfort my DD while in pain and/or confusion but overall, it's no biggie to me. It's definitely not something I plan on celebrating when my daughter's go through that.
    mellie369

Answer by mellie369 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Well, it usually happens in an awkard moment the first time. I think you did just fine. Dont make her feel gross or weird, anything you do. Just handle it matter-of -fact, because that is what it is. Dont make a huge deal about it, just give her the details that it follows the same cycle as the moon, which is very mystical, that we need to always be prepaired for it, just in case, ALWAYS so if one of our friends needs a pad or tampon, we're there for her. But also to be modest about it, to cover up the dirty pad or tampon, noone likes to see it, not to throw it in the toilet. All of that. We dont need to throw a party. Just welcome her gently, she is delicate and confused during this time, and let her be. And I found it rather embarrassing when it was a family announcement. Best if kept under wraps, especially around men.
    Hollytree

Answer by Hollytree at 3:21 PM on Jul. 23, 2009