Does anyone have a child with GERD (acid reflux) combined with mild low muscle tone and slow gastric emptying? If so, did you try any naturopathic/homeopathic remedies that helped?

My son is 1 year old and has reflux, mild low muscle tone, milk protein allergy and slow gastric emptying. He is on reflux meds and stool softener but no motility drugs. I started him on probiotics but have not seen a big difference yet. I would like to hear from other moms about any alternative medicine practices you may have tried for your child, like naturopath or homeopath services and did it help?

Shanni722

Asked by Shanni722 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I have this problem myself and have since infancy. My mom swears by fennel tea. Back in the day her pediatrician said to steep fennel and put it in my bottle at room temp. She said it made a huge difference with me. To this day I use both fennel and ginger while cooking and in my tea and it makes a big difference at soothing my stomach. Of course ask your doctor first but these helped me!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 3:10 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My son had reflux until 14 months and still has multiple food allergies and intolerances. I'm not sure you're going to find much homeopathic for the DGE. Its not a problem we ever really dealt with. We have found though, that when it comes to his extremely sensitive stomach, a good digestive enzyme really helps. We like the NSI BioCore TummyZymes. I've also used Acidophikidz probiotic. Its very difficult to find probiotics that are milk and soy free, as the bacteria is cultured in milk and/or soy, for most probiotics on the market. The Acidophikidz are milk/soy free.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 8:54 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My almost 3 month old has horrible reflux and poor muscle tone. We use gripe water and it calms his GERD symptoms. The Zantac and Prevacid only made him sicker.
    nicki.hemingway

Answer by nicki.hemingway at 10:18 PM on Sep. 10, 2010