for brestfeeding mom or moms who has breastfed

my son is 5 months today. and for a couple of days he cries when i put him down and when i put him to sleep he has to be attatch to my boob. when he falls asleep i try geting up but as soon as he feels my boob is not in his mouth he wakes up. what can i do? he wont even take a bottle. not even with breast milk in it.

adoradamia

Asked by adoradamia at 3:31 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sorry, no answer. But, here's a bump for you.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My daughter is almost 6 months, but she has been doing this for a long time now. she has a little square blanket that she sleeps with and has become attatched to. so i walk her to her crib while shes still attatched but already fallen asleep. When I lay her down i quickly put the blanket on her face and she grabs it to snuggle with. Once she has it she fusses for just a second and then falls back to sleep. To do this you may have to get him attatched to something by letting him hold it while nursing for a few days. In the begining I didn't want her to be attatched to any one object, however she doesn't cry for it except to sleep with so it seems to be working.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Not taking a bottle to bed is a good thing. It's terrible for oral development, unlike night nursing. Just give him time to relax to sleep before you unlatch. Make sure unlatching is soft and slow, not sudden. Rub his back for a bit before and after unlatching. Let him feel you're there for a while longer. Or just let him nurse and sleep in a sling.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• You need the book "The No Cry Sleep Solution."

Do not let him fall asleep on your breast at all. Nurse him until he gets super drowsy then gently insert your finger between his lips and your breast and break the suction and let him fall asleep the rest of the way on his own. It will take many tries before this starts to work. If he screams, latch him back on, then break the seal when his eating slows again....repeat, repeat, repeat until he learns to fall asleep without your breast.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:30 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• just asking why is it bad to breastfeed until they are sleep.
    adoradamia

Answer by adoradamia at 6:17 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I don't think it's bad to bf a baby to sleep. My DD is 4.5 mos. and up until very recently she always needed to eat before sleep. Now, I can pretty much feed her and then she'll fall asleep later on without eating if she's not hungry but when she wakes in the night, I feed her and then she falls asleep. I've talked to lactation consultants who say it's perfectly fine to do this. I think you just don't want them to be totally dependent on eating b/c then they'll want you to bf every time they fall asleep. He'll outgrow it eventually, he's not gonna want to bf when he's 10!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:17 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• Give the lil tike a pascifier after the babys done eating... You can introduce one after a couple of months worked for me.... I produced almost to much milk and my son just out of loving being at the breast and falling asleep eating would seem to over eat and spit up so I gave him a pascifier he would only take it for a few minutes then spit it out and sleep.. Good luck!
    ALDmama

Answer by ALDmama at 5:33 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• its not bad to breastfeed your baby to sleep, infact its a good thing! anything breastfeeding related is good and wonderful, that book is for babies a little bit older who are learning how to not co sleep the "gentle" way. you are doing just fine, you are reading your babies cues and following them, i think its a phase, a lot of babies do that, have you tried swaddling him, bouncing on a yoga ball, leaving soft music on, is he teething?
    btw ds is close to 18 months and he still nurses to sleep ;)
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 8:14 PM on Jul. 24, 2009