How long to breastfeed???

Im a super planner, I try and plan everything to a T but I have found that hard with pregnancy and thinking of when a baby gets here because no time frame is any longer certain.

But what I want to know so I can have an idea is how long you breastfed???

also I might be going into a new job that will require me to be gone for the first part of the day, tax preparer, but luckily I have family that can help nearby and I can easily bring my baby in for feedings.

So if you worked did u pump or try to fit feeding in? would u try to fit in feedings if it was accessable sp?? Do you think you breastfed longer because u worked?

I asked the last question because I already feel like Im going to be missing a lot and breastfeeding will always bring me bonding time with the baby.

Thank You in advance

Dom123123

Asked by Dom123123 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I made a goal with #3 to nurse til 12 months becuase I can't stand the tought of putting the ingredients of formula in another of my childs bodies, I did it with my oldest because of lack of info ans support.

I worked 49 hours a week, 6 days a week and my son still nurses at 27 months. Working and pumping or having baby brought to you works out just fine once back to work scheduling feedings is ok, just try to feed on demand..meaning constantly the first 6-8 weeks and then on demand when home after that which slows down after 8 weeks.

Find your motivation to keep going. Find the info you need, don't trust doctors for BFing info even about meds and weight gain and stuff without talking to a lacation consutlant and researching on your own too. Most doctors have very little if any BFing training...if a pipe breaks you call a plumber right, well if its a BFing issue or concerns BF you call a BFing specialist an IBCLC
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months.

I worked full time and breastfed for 23 months (child-led weaning)

Answer by rkoloms at 3:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• i breastfed my kids for 1, 2 and 9 months. i say no longer than a yr. i just think it's gross 2 nurse a kid over a yr old but, that's just my opinion.
    mominneed_27

Answer by mominneed_27 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I breastfed my first son til he was 3 months only because he didn't want it anymore.My second son will be 1 on Saturday and I still nurse him to bed at night. I want to stop, but it really soothes him. so I guess it all depends on the kid...just my opinion.
    tabc531

Answer by tabc531 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• BTW as a PP states WHO says age 2 minimum , AAP says age 1 as a minimum...it continues to have positive effects past age 2 also, we are humans human milk would be better for us
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• How long as in how many months? As long as you want.

I pumped, once for every three hours away. When I worked at home, I nursed. And yes, I think I worked harder at it because I was working.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:14 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Thanks for the advice and info. I have changed my mind from 6months minimum to a year because I agree formula has many negative effects on babies, not to mention soy is not good for babies bellies and later growth, so I will be breastfeeding for a year minimun, or at least it will be my goal, If I pass that goal then good but 1 year sounds good for me.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2009