Baby Sedation & Dental Work?

My 2 1/2 yr old has had a cavity since 10/08. When I took him back then the pedi referred us to a dentist (duh) who wouldn't do anything because my son wouldn't let them look at his teeth. Well he has been complaining and it's gotten a little bigger but still the size of a pin point. I found a pedi dentist and they have decided to do sedation. He will drink something wait an hour and they will do x-rays of all his teeth plus this one tooth now needs a baby root canal and crown. They said it's not the same as with an adult... my other two have only needed filings so I don't know anything about how this works for little ones. ... and I am really nervous!

Tajcc

Asked by Tajcc at 3:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OMG, a root canal and crown for a baby tooth?? Oh man...I don't know anything about it, but my almost 2.5 year old has a chipped tooth that has decay and I have to get him in, but this just scared the carp out of me. I'll be watching this question closely.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:53 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Sedation is pretty easy, they will probably give your child Versed, it's easily tolerated, just watch him closely for a while when he's done
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I wouldn't bother for a baby. Most babies don't have any teeth anyway!

However, for your toddler....it's better to deal with it now rather than later when it's full of infection.

The scariest part of it (for you) is the sedation. I've been there several times. Have help for the other kids for the day so you can concentrate on him. He'll be fine, though.
    Anonymous

• But a root canal and crown?? he's going to lose the tooth in a couple years anyway, it seems so extensive and unnecessary...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I've taken my dd to a children's hospital pediatric dentist. that's what i'd do with your son for an opinon at least before anything's done.

having ds drink something that's yucky medicine at his age when he won't cooperate and open his mouth for an exam doesn't make sense. have you asked about nitrous oxide and oxygen immediately afterwards instead of a liquid? if he won't drink the liquid, what then?
    Anonymous

• there's good and bad about nitrous oxide but a good is that when it's done and immediately oxygen is given to help him recover, the n o is gone. liquid medicine can have a longer lasting sedative effect on the little guy.

Zakysmommy what is Versed? That's one I've not heard of?
    Anonymous

• gramsmom... he won't loose the tooth for a few years... about 6 if he is like my oldest and in the mean time it's going to continue to hurt him. Also some say that if you don't treat them that it could effect the adult teeth.

My mother never thought it was needed to take me to the dentist and my brothers and I have all sorts of issues so I am ok with it as long he will be ok. Thanks for the name of that stuff... Versed... I will have to google it. And this place is a pedi dentist... one of the few around, it took us months to get his appt.
    Tajcc

Answer by Tajcc at 4:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• If it was my kids I would allow them to sedate and then just have them pull it. i would not go to all that trouble for a baby tooth. I would not let them give hima liquid sedative with out knowing what it was. How it worked. How it was metabolized from the body (i.e. liver, kidneys, blood/air) And how long it would take. I would prefer he got a gas.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• He'll be ok mama. I have a friend IRL who's son had that done at 2.5 y/o. He came out just fine, and it was a much better experience for him, than a scary man in a mask trying to force his mouth open just to see it. He didn't remember anything. That way, he won't fear the dentist. I'm sure your son will do fine. I'm not sure what they'll have him drink and why not gas instead, if you have worries, just ask the dentist or his staff, there may be a medical reason that the dentist prefers one over the other.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I had sedation dentistry when I was 3 or 4 to put crowns on all my molars. I still have vague images of it and it is very tramatic. Even to this day the thought of going to the dentist makes me almost sick. The suggestion of sedation as an adult to help me over my fears is even worse. just a flip side of view.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2009