What is the role of morality in art? Specifically visually.

Okay, I was watching this video of Ravi Zacharias (a genius Christian speaker) and I HAD to post it here!!! He is just so genius. I am a lover of art and literature, as well as being a Christian so I just bubbled over when he quoted William Blake and used Oscar Wilde to answer the girls question.

What do you think of this video and how does your worldview influence your view of the arts? Do you see through your eye and your conscience? (you kinda need to watch the video to really understand this question, sorry)

What are the Boundaries of Beauty?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y5Jbi1hz7k&feature=related

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 4:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I like when he talked about artists self-regulating.

I am an artists (from traditional canvas to graphic design)....and there are subjects which I have personally chosen not to draw, or design for, because I can't of good conscience promote those items or images.

I also like what he said about the imagination being one of the most sacred things we have, and how Hollywood often assaults that - I know we can all think of at least one film that we came out feeling stupider for having watched it.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 4:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Thank you for posting this video. I could listen to Ravi preach and teach all day
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I perceive artistic beauty under the influence of Christ. I love the arts--music and literature especially. I have had to give up some of my "comfort reads" for my conscience's sake. I do my best to base my choices of entertainment on Philippians 4:8--
    Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

How I want to perceive loveliness, purity, nobility,and praise-worthiness is through Christ's eyes. If something I see or hear draws my heart away from Him (no matter the outward appearances), I have had to let it go even though I had sentimental attachments.

I love Ravi Zacharias' apologetics. He has a beautiful, powerful testimony.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:06 AM on Jul. 24, 2009