Christians:What is the realm of your thinking when it comes to God and your religion?

Hearing people say Christians you need to think for selves made me wonder the following questions

1-Do you question teachings that don't seem quite right to you?

2-Are you following your parents religion? If so was there a time when you made the choice to follow this religion on your own?

3-Do you ever contemplate or wonder about the possibility of there being no God?

4-Does your church encourage you to think and question things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• 1. I question teachings... in other word.. from man.. and i make sure what they are teaching lines up with the word of God. Many are in pulpits teaching what I call feel good messages not wanting to offend so not willing to call sin a sin. Also make sure the rules made up by men line up with the word and it's correct context.

2. My dad was a pastor... went to church my whole life. I did walk away and began practicing another religion... long story as to why but it wasn't God who caused it but my trust in ppl and men.. came back after realizing God never left me I left Him and it's not about religion but a relationship. That was almost 21 years ago and nothing could make me walk away again.

3. No.. the exact opposite. I can't understand how ppl can't believe in God.

4. Yep... have to open the bible and read it for ourselves.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 4:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• 1> if something didn't make sense i would seek to make sense of it. sometimes i don't get the whole understanding from one lesson and always learn more another time that i didn't the first or second time around.
    2.yes i was born into this religion but i have strayed and come back to it. it's the only thing that made me whole and i'm happy with my choice. everyone has to have their own conversion and i have had mine.
    3.rarely but when i do i know that it's satan trying to decieve me. usually when big things are happening in my life when i'm weak or when i'm progressing in the lords direction does he temp me harder. he wants to keep me from gaining things in my church or building a stronger relation with god.
    4.yes they want us to fully understand the gospel so that we can use it in our daily lives. such as the important of prayer, temple marriage, tithe etc. pray for answers and searching 4 them through scriptures.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• 1-I'm always questioning. I believe what I determine is the most correct based off of study and conviction, not based off of what I've been told to believe by others.

2-I was raised in the Christian faith, but always encouraged to believe what I felt was true. I was encouraged to embrace whatever spoke true to me, whether it was within Christianity or not. My mother cared more about inspiring a passion for God than indoctrinating or assimilating me into a faith. Christian Universalism is what I feel is most true, because of my study and understanding and conviction, not because of anyone else.

3-No. My relationship with God leaves me certain of His existence. There is no doubt.

4-I currently don't have a church, but the church I grew up in always encouraged me in a loving way, and issues of nonconformity were never an issue. My church was about love, not who was right or wrong in terms of theology.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• 1-I question human interpretation and translation of God's teachings when it does not seem right to me.

2- I am the same religion as my parents but have very different beliefs under that religion. I never fully agreed with some of the things they believed but respected their beliefs in their home. When I moved out and went to school, I did some soul searching and joined a church of my choice.

3-Impossible for me to fathom. It's like trying to believe there is no air.

4-Absolutely. We don't interrogate God but instead pray that he will help us find his meaning through reading the Bible and prayer. My pastor always encourages me to verify other people's interpretations for myself. I don't believe in following anything blindly or that God wants us to.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:36 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• 1-Do you question teachings that don't seem quite right to you? I will go to the bible to see if it lines up with what is written there, if not I put it on a shelf.

2-Are you following your parents religion? If so was there a time when you made the choice to follow this religion on your own? No.

3-Do you ever contemplate or wonder about the possibility of there being no God? No, I know God is real and I will never deny that.

4-Does your church encourage you to think and question things? My church always challenges us to go to the word and make sure what was preached lines up with what it says in the bible. We are encouraged to study and read and ask questions if we do not understand or something does not jive. I have had to do that with some of the spiritual things and I love to learn about the bible anyway so it is natural for me to seek answers to the things I may not understand.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• 1-Do you question teachings that don't seem quite right to you? Yes of course.  All of the people I have learned from are human, and as such make mistakes

2-Are you following your parents religion? If so was there a time when you made the choice to follow this religion on your own? My parents are Christian but of a different denomination.  We were all out of church for a time and then I was the one to first come back to following my faith.  I chose to leave my parents denomination because I did question some of their teaching

3-Do you ever contemplate or wonder about the possibility of there being no God? After 30 years of God walking with me I don't question if He exists.  I do question His ways sometimes.

4-Does your church encourage you to think and question things? Ye

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:30 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• 1.Yes- that is how I became a Christian
    2.No-they are pagans
    3.No-I cannot b/c I have been proven without a doubt that God and Jesus are both real.
    4.No-that is why I left it.

God bless
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 11:40 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• 1-Do you question teachings that don't seem quite right to you? Always have, always will!

2-Are you following your parents religion? If so was there a time when you made the choice to follow this religion on your own? I was raised Jehovah's Witness, became an atheist, now I am Seventh-Day Adventist (so is my father). I chose it on my own.

3-Do you ever contemplate or wonder about the possibility of there being no God? Not anymore! BTDT, He'd showed Himself mightily!

4-Does your church encourage you to think and question things? Oh, most definitely! Even if it did not, I like knowing the origins of things, so I'd study them. I did a lot of this as an atheist to prove the foolishness of believing in a deities. God caught me in His net when I pitted my secular studies against His Bible.I lost! LOL
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:34 AM on Jul. 24, 2009