If people were meant to live by every word of the bible why give the ten comandments at all?

I thought the point of the ten comandments was to give "Gods people" the laws by which they were to live by. So, if that's the truth then why are there so many other "laws" or "rules" in the rest of the bible to fret over??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Darn good question. Ah I used to get in trouble with questions like this during Sunday school
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:31 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• God gave the ten commandments to all because he made all and he wants everyone to go by them
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Are you just trying to start drama or bash with this?
    Anonymous

• I am not christian, but to me the ten commandments are a good rule of thumb to live by, its kinda like common sence, but I dont think it fits in every situation. I dont think when they were written parents were abusing there children sexually or physically. I do think there are times when they could/should be broken. As for the rest of the laws, rules etc. I think it has to do with the times, a way to have order, or what should be expected of women and men at the time. I dont believe that every word of the bible is the word of god and should be followed to a tee because the times do not add up, the world and peoples roles have changed so much since then. Good question, I cant wait to see some of the other responces.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:38 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• what anon :32 said.
    Anonymous

• I think the commandments actually condtradict some parts of the Bible. Especially when it comes to Judge not lest ye be judge.
    Anonymous

• midnightmoma, you get too many responses because most Christians have learned not to take the shark bait.
    Anonymous

• I mean if the commandments are a rule of thumb for everyone. This is a big one, why is it ignored?
    Anonymous

• LOL anon 42. Did you just call midnightmama a shark? Really? You have to be joking LOL
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• i don't have an answer for you, op. i tend to agree with midnightmama, for the most part.
    what i am now curious about, though, is how the anon figures the 'ten' contradicts the rest of the biblical principals/'rules'.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 4:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2009