What to do about a bald spot on my 6 year-old's head?

I was combing my daughter's hair this morning and noticed she had a small bald spot on her head. I took her to the doctor and she recommended that I cut her hair much shorter (my daughter's hair is a little past her waist) and not put it in ponytails for a while. She said we should keep an eye on it and if the spot gets bigger than we should her bring her back to the office. I still feel a little uneasy. Has anyone experienced this before? Any advice?

Mercy121

Asked by Mercy121 at 4:40 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I usually suspect ringworm-- is that a possibility? If so, it's highly contagious and a fungal problem-- you can't rub antibiotics on it because you'll just spread it around.

There is such a thing called "traction alopecia"-- where the hair is pulled so frequently that the hair follicles lose strength over time, causing baldness.

Also, is it possible your daughter as OCD, and is pulling her hair out?

I'm not trying to freak you out-- just trying to get some ideas as to what might be causing it.

Good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 5:41 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Stop with the ponytails and braids, if the bands are too tight it will cause the hair to fall out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• The doctor said it's not ringworm. The skin is not red or scaly.
    She did mention the traction alopecia, but in that case would the hair fall out in one specific spot. i would think that it would fall out all over. this is just one spot about the size of a nickel.
    I have never seen her pulling her hair out and doubt she does it. If it is the ponytails, do you think easing up on them will let the hair regrow.

Thanks for your help. i can deal with being freaked out as long as i can help my daughter.
    Mercy121

Answer by Mercy121 at 6:45 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• this kind of thing is common in the service among women who have to have their hair pull up and tight thats the reason so many service woman have short hair if u want to pull her hair up use the big cloth pony tail holders and try to keep it down as much as possiable us different style of pulling her hair out of her face...with my dd who also has very long hair i pull just her bangs back on the rare occasion she want it up or i use berets to keep the hair out of her face another thing my dd has discovered is hairl bands that go beking the ears like what we had as kids u put the ends behind ur ear and slide the front to the top of ur head...my dd really likes thoes b/c she can keep her hair down and have it out of her face
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 9:15 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My husband had a bald spot about that size on the back of his head for about 2-3 months, then the hair just grew back. It was the weirdest thing! Never happened again though.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 11:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2009