• In the Spotlight:

Can you put a booster seat right next to an infant car seat?

We are taking our first road trip with our 6yr old and 8 week old. I was hoping to sit in back with the baby to make things easier, but realized I don't know if the booster seat is safe right next to the car seat...anyone done that before?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I sure hope so. When you have three across the backseat the booster has to sit somwhere. It is fine as long as they are both/all being used properly
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:02 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Yes they are safe! as long as they fit comfortably I had 3 diff size car seat all along the back of my car and I just made sure they were installed properly!
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 5:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• As long as each car seat is strapped in securely with its own seat belt, and you have your own seat belt, it's fine!

I would but the baby's car seat in the middle with your older child seated behind the driver's seat, and you behind the passenger seat. This way you and your husband can talk easier, and hand him anything he needs--and vice-versa!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• yeah but you have to be able to have your big kid able to get to the buckle and not accidently unbuckle the baby seat
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I have a car that just fits all 3 seats across the back! I have the toddler seat in the middle and the 2 booster seats on either side. The booster seat needs the seatbelt that goes across the chest so it should be on the window side.
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 5:30 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• The booster has to have a shoulder belt.

The older kid needs to know to leave the baby alone (mine would have been smacking the baby, piling his toys on top of it, etc LOL).
    Anonymous

• If your middle seat had a shoulder belt, place the booster there, and the infant on the side. It's said to put the least protected child in the middle, if possible.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2009