what do you simply replace instead of trying to clean or fix?

I just bought a new plunger after our overnite guests, um.. used it a few times. It made me feel more calm and serene than soaking it in a bucket of bleach overnite.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 5:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Shopping

• Right now I use paper plates and cups and stuff just to simplify life and I throw that away. I have thought about being cheap and rinsing it off to use it for the whole day. After I swiff the floor I throw the pad away. I don't reuse the tissues, I just throw it out after one session lol.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 11:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• * note - it was new, like maybe 6 weeks old. That's what inspired the question... I cannot be the only one to occasionally waste money to save sanity
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:05 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• i am from a different planet, called Earth
    I rinse out plastic zip lock bags and reuse
    (if they did not have meat in, or something else gross)

get a new plunger that was only 6 weeks old, i have not even had to use a plunger in the last 6 weeks, but if your guests were that PLUGGED up, well maybe it was time for a different plunger

did you have them take it with them as a parting gift, or throw it away using your kitchen thongs, and then buy new thongs (lol)
    Anonymous

• T.M.I.
    Anonymous

• I've been guilty of both things - I rinse out and keep zip-lock bags BUT I've also thrown away the plastic tupperware-type containers that DH sometimes leaves in his frac-bag far too long. I did LOL though - if you had guests use a plunger while at your house - you may have more problems than just an abused plunger. Unless of course the "um" in your statement means more than I'm thinking? Gosh I hope not.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 5:19 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• The "UM" meant... it would require time and effort of cleaning/soaking for me to keep it in circulation. Very TMI. This is our smaller guest bathroom and we've been anticipating these guests for awhile now so last month, maybe 6 weeks ago I did a big shopping for it and bought all the stuff it needed since we RARELY use it (shower curtain, bathmats, plunger, etc etc etc) I do toss other things sometimes, though.... now that I think of it. Tupperware that could probably be saved. Ripped things I could probably take to a tailor. And so on. I can never say I am not wasteful... but we try. I recycle quite a bit but on the other hand I do replace my broom whenever it gets "icky"... usually once a year.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:14 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Soaking out the plunger in a bleach formula would have done the trick for me. I hate to throw things away knowing that they will sit for an eternity in the landfill. But I would wonder, were my guests THAT plugged up or perhaps a problem brewing with my sewage system? Our system gets tree roots building up that have to be removed every year or so.....maybe if you don't use your guest bathroom frequently there could be a sewage problem?
    Anonymous