Does anyone here or do you know of anyone who succesfully lost weight doing the Atkins diet?

I need to lose 40lb to take back my life again and would love to hear some encouraging stories!! I think Atkins is the way to go for me but would love to hear any successful stories!!
THANK YOU! :-)

mom2jjl

Asked by mom2jjl at 5:05 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I lost 72 pounds and my DH lost 37 pounds and we have been doing maintenance for 2 years now. It works. I lost my weight in 9 months. My husband lost his in 8 weeks..gawd that still galls me..LOL. The first 2-3 weeks are the hardest but stick with it.
    Anonymous

• I lost almost 30 pounds doing Atkins back in the early 1990's. (Before he was really popular.)

I have gained it all back because I went back to eating carbs again. I wasn't able to keep it as a long-term lifestyle.

Hope you have long-term success!
    p.s. Get some low-carb baking cook books. You will need them for when you're craving things like cake.
    Anonymous

• I lost from 180 down to 125 with that diet before it really became popular. Like the previous post though, I gained it all back as soon as i started slipping up and eating carbs again. :( Whatever diet you choose, you need to make sure you can keep it up as a lifestyle, not just as a quick fix or you'll end up yo-yoing back and forth, which can cause worse problems than the weight gain!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 5:23 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My Aunt-In-Law lost alot of weight using the Atkinds diet, but she didnt lose it all & still struggles with her weight.
    Cut out carbs & soda.. lots of water... lots of fiber ... get active! and see how that does for you! :)
    Anonymous

• I know several people who lost weight on atkins, and gained it all back plus more. If you need to follow a "plan", then follow a healthy one, like McDougall.
    Or you can just live a healthy lifestyle:
    - exercise at least 3 times a week, for at least 20 minutes a day
    - drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day
    - replace your simple grains with whole grains, and add new whole grains (like wheat berries
    and quinoa); work your way up to 6 servings of whole grains a day
    - eat at least 2 servings of legumes (beans, tofu, nuts, lentils, etc.) a day

Answer by rkoloms at 7:25 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I lost weight also but like many others gained it back. If you do choose this diet I recommend vitamins.  You are limited to what you eat during the first few weeks. I became tired and lathargeic the first few weeks.  The variety is limiting also.  I am not a big meat fan so that limited me.  Good luck!

ice_angel_k

Answer by ice_angel_k at 11:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My sister did. I tried it a while back and I just got so weak.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 12:28 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My mom has been on and off of atkins since I was in highschool. It usually only works for a couple months, and then she bounces right back. It's a little too easy to still eat crappy on that diet (cutting out ALL carbs and but allowing yourself endless cheese and mayo is a recipe for disaster!).

I had a lot of success with the Sonoma Diet - it teaches you how to break your addiction to simple carbs (sugar) while still eating healthy carbs (in fruits/veggies and whole grains). I lost 5 pounds the first month I was on it - without exercising . I got preggo right after I lost those 5 pounds... haha. But it taught me a lot about eating healthy!
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 4:59 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• I had lost about 20 lbs. on it several years ago but gained all the weight back when I started eating processed carbs again. Now that our budget permits us to purchase healthier foods once more, my husband and I are going back to the Atkins lifestyle. We were both A LOT healthier and leaner when we were eating right and we've decided that it's of primary importance to spend more money and time on our health. I begin induction on Monday, but I've already lost seven pounds in the past two weeks simply by cutting back on all the carbs/sugar/processed food. This is a lifestyle... not a diet.
    Intrepid

Answer by Intrepid at 3:32 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• My aunt put my uncle on it and he lost I think 30 lbs. My step dad was on it for a bit (until my mom started undermining him) and he lost I think 20 lbs and that was only in a month or so.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:41 PM on Jul. 25, 2009