Need Help With My Son!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My son is 2 year and 5 months and is where he wants to beat up his baby brother who just turned 1. He pushes him into things or pushes him down in general,throws things at him,hits him with toys,andabout 2 weeks ago they were both at my MIL's house and she has a basket of plastic knives,forks,and spoons on her table and he had gotten one of the knives and cut his brother from the top of his forhead across his eye all the way to the bottom of his ear(it didnt cut cut him it left a scratch that scarred) I do believe in spanking(i believe there is difference in spanking and beating a child,and there are certain things that deserve spanking) I have tried everything I know of,time out one day he spent from 3-9 on the couch pretty much because everytime he got down he would do it again,spanking--he laughs,and he knows it is wrong he will automatically go to time out sometimes and when aked why he is there he will tell you. I am at

rebel_momma

Asked by rebel_momma at 5:07 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my wits end and me and my dad are both afraid he is going to end up seriously hurting his brother.
    rebel_momma

Answer by rebel_momma at 5:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Maybe you need to talk to a ped about his anger issues? I am not sure if it's "normal" or not since my son is not even 2 yet and there are NO Plans for another. But maybe he's trying to get attention and sometimes negative attention is better than NO attention. you could set some time out for just the 2 of you and not the baby? special games all together that involve hugging and being gentle? I don't know ?? Good luck!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:15 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Could he be jealous of his little bro? i'd talk to his doc just to make sure something more isn't going on, but my guess is on the jealousy. Your doctor may have some good tips to help out. i'm sorry i can't be of more help. my kids are 6 years apart and so I haven't been there.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 5:28 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Most peds will tell you that your older son is acting in a normal fashion. My two boys are the same way(5 and 2) the older one tries to bully him and the younger one in self defense had become a real instigator. And my reaction certainly was not helping.

My solution to this problem actually came from the book Have a New Kid By Friday.

I caught my older son pushing his brother over on purpose, so that he was falling over the growing pile of toys on the floor. I pulled him aside and squatted down to his level(eye to eye).

I asked him did he need a little extra attention and he said yes. I told him that if he wanted my attention or simply needed a hug all he had to do was ask me for it. Then I let him know that I saw what he had done and that I would not allow him to treat his brother that way.

I tried to address the behavior head on, give punishement when needed and follow through all the time. And no yelling.
    Mercedus

Answer by Mercedus at 5:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I agree with Mercedus 110%. Awesome advice there.....he is most likely jealous and wanting attention. If you can calmly discuss with him that you are willing to give him this attention and that you will not accept his hurting his sibling, you will have won this particular battle. My youngest two children are 18 months apart and it took me a bit to figure it out, but this was exactly what was happening. Wish I had had the benefit of the book that she mentioned.
    Anonymous