Preschool and butt wiping (a little TMI-ish)

We toured a preschool and I told them my daughter is 100% bathroom independent with the exception of "bad poops". Pee's she needs no assistance, even for hand washing. Most poops are ok but if they're smeary she'll holler for back-up. The teacher was sneering and eye rolling and not at all happy... what are your situations? Daughter is 3... next week will be 3yr 2 months. (PS it's a formal preschool a few days a week 9-1 pm not a daycare)

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 5:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in

• I use to be a Pre-K teacher. I had a 4 year old in my class who had a really bad accident. He tried to clean it up himself but made matters even worse. There was poop all over him, his clothes, the toilet, the floor, and the wall. You know what I did? I cleaned him up, got him some clean clothes, and then cleaned the toilet, the floor, and the walls. I did my job and that teacher was way out of line for the way she reacted. If she keeps up with this attitude, then I would report her to the director/principal.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:55 AM on Jul. 24, 2009

• That's unacceptable behavior for a preschool teacher. Your daughter is doing terrific.

I'd find a different school.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 5:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• they should help them... that's why they are there, the preschool should have gloves for the teachers & they need to suck it up & do it or find another job IMO
    Anonymous

• My daughter was not completely "self efficient" in the bathroom until she was around 5 or 6. I forget the exact age. I have worked in many different daycares, and I would be pleasantly surprised if a new mom told me that her 3 year old could take care of herself in the bathroom. I, personally, think that is very rare. So good for her!

LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 5:16 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I have been worried about this as well. My daughter is 2.5 and fully potty trained. She starts a half day pre-school 2 days a week this fall. She can wipe when she goes pee pretty well, but not at all when she poops. I hope this school you toured is just the exception. i also think it's ridiculous the way the teacher was acting, that's very unprofessional.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 5:23 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Unacceptable behavior for a preschool teacher. I do have to say that SOME centers do NOT allow their teachers to wipe kids butts once they are potty trained. There would have to be another adult in the bathroom. It is an important question to ask when touring a center or preschool. I worked at a center that we couldn't even help a child change themselves unless another adult was present. It is a safety issue for the teachers and center and the kids.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Rolling her eyes that should tell you right there it isn't the place for her.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• sounds like that teacher is working the wrong type of job for her personality. i know from experience in substituting pre k & k children you will have bathroom problems & yes you could call the parents to deal w/ it but its easier just to do it yourself & less embarrassing for the kid. now if it was like in elementary school maybe i would feel differently but still i wouldnt act like that lady. i would see about changing teachers.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 10:28 PM on Jul. 24, 2009