• In the Spotlight:

What do you ladies think about thumb-sucking?

Should I stop my 3 month old from sucking his thumb?

xoxolily

Asked by xoxolily at 5:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It was a battle that I just decided not to fight with my daughter. She never would take a pacifier EVER and we always said that if she could find her thumb she would be a thumb sucker. And when she discovered hands, the thumb went in. She is 5 months old and only sucks her thumb when she is upset or tired or if she wakes in the middle of the night. She is great at soothing herself back to sleep because she just finds her thumb and out she goes. She never wakes up crying, just talking to the frogs on her bumper. I wouldnt worry about it right now.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:41 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I would wait til later to see if this is actually something that he'll stick with or not - it would be actually easier to see if he liked a pacifier because you can take those away at some point. some people say it affects their teeth later -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• No. or you could give him a pacifier. they like to suck, its good for them. they need to.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:30 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• My daughter sucks her thumb, my son didn't. She slept all night by 3 months old because she was sucking her thumb. My son was still getting up during the night when he was 3 years old. At some point you may want to break your child, but not as an infant. Babies are wired to suck. He might take to a paci, but because he's been sucking his thumb since he had fingers in your womb, chances are, he's gonna like that thumb a lot better than any pacifier.

Anonymous

• I was able to stop my son form daytime sucking at 10 months by taking it out and redirecting him. My DD is 18 months and won't be detoured! I will start working with her daytime sucking in a few more months and start by limiting where she can suck it to home and car, no stores. then to just her room and the car. Then to only when she is sleeping. They will stop completely on there own most likely by age 7. Some do so longer.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:38 PM on Jul. 23, 2009